This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Topics - miguel
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:32:47 PM »
I took the LSAT, applied, got in to good school, and then accepted the offer of admission. The past couple weeks, however, have been the first time I actually thought about ATTENDING law school as seriously as ever, and the more I think about it, the more I really don't want to do it. I mean REALLY don't want to do it, not just having cold feet. Every reason I can think of about why I should do have to do with following through, making the most of it, seeking the prestige, and having the credential. There are number of extenuating circumstances, but I am certain that if I went, I would in many ways just be forcing myself to follow through with it. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but I am questioning if maybe I should just listen to my gut and pull out before it's too late... what would you all do? Just curious...
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »
Anybody planning to go tonight?
I hope they have good food....!
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:52:13 PM »
I'm considering deferring at UC Berkeley - aside from smaller reasons about getting to know the area and take some time to myself, it would mostly be about establishing residency in CA in order to get the in-state tuition for all 3 years (otherwise I would probably get it for two of the three). This would save me about $10-$12 k.
Anyone think this is a silly decision and that $10k or so in the grand scheme of things is negligible, or is it a significant amount that, coupled with a desire to get established and comfortable in a new state (I would find some sort of low-stress job and travel around a lot), is a good call?
« on: March 31, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
My first rejection.
Snail mail, in a letter thinner than the skinnier Olsen twin.
They sure are a tough crowd to please, it seems.
The letter was short and typical. At least no trite comments.
Good luck to the rest of ya.
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:17:42 PM »
Well, I just decided to do it, since I felt annoyed that I had gotten the fee waiver offers from them in the mail, applied, and am now being held for "further review." I was hoping to get some money from them, but I'd rather save them the time and myself the denial or waitlist grief by withdrawing now.
But the only way I would feel bad about this decision is if I ultimately missed a free ride there, but since i know have some prefential options, I figured I would get on my high horse a little.
Anyone think I might have pulled that off?
« on: February 16, 2005, 02:45:34 PM »
Just got the email from Edward Tom. Whew! I think it is safe to say that I was REALLY not expecting this!
The email says that a packet of info will be sent via snail mail in the next few days.
I hope this gives some hope to the other mid-range LSAT / high GPA folks... our hard work can pay off!
« on: January 04, 2005, 04:06:44 PM »
I just found out through my graduate school career office that one of the people on our alumni network list (people you can supposedly talk to about career advice) is now the Assistant Director of Admissions at one of the law schools (a top 14) that I applied to. I am told she is very nice, and presumably interested in helping students coming out of my program.
I am thinking about making contact with her, but am wondering the best way to do this (email? phone? letter?), and if there is anything I should/should not say; I obviously don't want to come across as fishing for favors, but I wonder if i could actually help to boost my application in some indirect way? Or will whatever I say seem transparent since I already applied?
How about just asking some general questions, like whether or not they think it is feasible to discount my 2000 LSAT score give the addendum I wrote (at a school that claims to average multiple scores with few exceptions).
Just curious to hear some thoughts on how to use this contact productively...
« on: November 24, 2004, 12:01:45 PM »
Thought I would see how many people are out there, and what some thoughts are about what it takes to get a PI /PS scholarship at various schools.
I applied to the scholarships at Georgetown, American, UPenn, and Boston College (although BC says it does not accept applications for the scholarship there until Feb...?)
What do you all think about LSATS/GPAs for these scholarships? I've heard that PS experience is a factor but often they are just looking for high LSATs.
« on: November 23, 2004, 11:33:52 AM »
As I wonder which (if any) top schools will admit me, I can't help but wonder which top 50 (or so) schools I could get some scholarship money from - does anyone have solid info on the best schools (that aren't too deep into red-state land) that I could get good money from, given my numbers (165, 3.85) and experience (Peace Corps, Masters Degree, and 2 years Pub Int WE?)
Thanks for the info...
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:42:37 PM »
Let's say you applied and were admitted somewhere ED, then shortly after were accepted to another school (regular admissions). Is there ANY possibility that you could decide to attend the other school? Has anyone heard of this happening before? Just curious...