This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Topics - photogrl
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:27:58 AM »
I was all set to go to UCLA, I accepted their offer of admission and was perfectly happy about it. IU had told me yesterday that I was selected as a Jump Scholar on top of my merit $, but that I could not have in-state residency like I thought. Well, come to find out that today they changed their mind, and that I will have a full ride PLUS a stipend. UCLA did not offer me merit $, but did give me $6,000 in grant money, the rest I would have to cover in loans.
I am interested in entertainment law, as it is my background and what I've always been interested in. IU claims that they have a program, but I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not jazzed about living in Bloomington, but I grew up in Indy and my SO is there right now. He and I are planning on moving to LA together, but this changes everything. Thoughts? HELP!!! This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make.
« on: April 04, 2005, 10:36:34 AM »
Letter this weekend. Took them long enough, although I don't think I would be able to turn down moving to LA even if they would have taken me. Which they didn't, so I guess it doesn't matter.
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »
So IU Bloomington has offered me 1/3 tuition scholarship plus in-state tuition(have gotten scholarships to other schools, but not interested) and I got into UCLA. Here's the dilemma:
My SO lives in Indiana, as do my family and some friends. He has a great job there and if I moved back there we could buy a kick-ass condo downtown this summer and I would be able to graduate with virtually no debt (The whole degree would cost me like $20k). I could get a joint degree (Masters of Journalism or MBA) as well. I would most likely have to commute to Bloomington as I have no plans on living there and it's 45-60 minutes from the city. Also got into IU Indy but so far no $$. Have written requesting more money from IU to see what happens.
Also got into UCLA, which was a huge reach for me. Part of me really wants to live there (warm weather, beautiful, exciting city) but I would be about $150K in debt at the end. I am interested in entertainment law but I have no idea if that's what I really want to go into because I'm also interested in trial law and international law. My SO would have to uproot his entire life, find a job and find friends if we move. We would have to rent a small apartment and live hand-to-mouth.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I am so torn right now! Thanks.
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:51:27 PM »
I called Vanderbilt to see where they were on scholarships, and I got a nice surprise. They had already sent the letter, so they went ahead and told me that I have been offered $8,000 per year in merit scholarships plus another $4,000 in need-based scholarships. Holla! This really makes the Boalt denial a little easier pill to swallow.
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »
So I've been trying to schedule my law school visits, and I was pretty sick of waiting on Boalt (since I had been complete since November). I decided today to take a stand and gave them a call to see what's up. The nice lady said that a letter had been sent out at the beginning of March. Of course, I never got the letter because my mail lady has the intelligence of a gnat. Luckily, the nice admissions lady put an end to my Boalt dreams over the phone and told me I was not offered a position in this fall's class. Oh well, I expected as much from Boalt, given that I have not saved any whales, gotten any grants, been a Rhodes or Fulbright scholar or really done anything worthy of a Nobel Prize. So now it's down to UCLA, Vanderbilt or good old IU. At least I'll be able to stop holding my breath every time I go to the mailbox or check my email.
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:20:45 AM »
Has UCLA started dispersing scholarship money? If so, has anyone here received any? Just curious.
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:18:21 AM »
So I applied to IU Indy a couple months ago (I can't remember exactly, sometime in January) to appease my family. My grandma and aunt told me about a bajillion times that I should be going there. Plus, if I didn't get in to any of my dream schools, it would be a good, affordable option since I'm from the area. However, since I got into one of my dream schools, I sort of forgot about it until just now when I realized that I haven't heard back from them.
Does anyone know what sort of a timetable they are working on? When are they sending out decisions?
« on: March 07, 2005, 08:01:50 PM »
Those jerks at Fordham are claiming that I'm not eligible for grants or anything but a Stafford and private loans. Here's my question:
Given that I was eligible for a darn load of fin. aid in undergrad, is this because they don't have the money to throw around, because my investments screwed up my EFC on the FAFSA or because they don't see me as a viable candidate to "woo" into their entering class?
I hope this isn't going to be a trend, I was really hoping for some grant $....
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:17:25 PM »
My hangover is MUCH more bearable now! Large white package arrived in the mail today, I just about had a heart attack when I saw it. I was definitely not counting on this one, and it's AWESOME!!!!
Now I need to recover so I can go drink in celebration.
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »
Letter came today in mail.
I'm shocked, simply shocked! I can't believe that with sub-25th percentile numbers, being a non-URM and having no outstanding accomplishments (curing cancer, Rhodes scholar) they wouldn't want me. Huh.
In light of this revelation, I am REALLY glad I didn't waste my money on a Harvard, Yale, Columbia or NYU application.
Hope you guys are having better news this evening!