Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - tylersd

Pages: [1]
Law School Admissions / $ questions late in the game
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
so here's a scenario:
School A is barely a T14 and School B is barely not, comparable placement stats.
Both schools accepted me after waitlisting me initially
I have deposits at both
Today School B calls and asks what I'm up to since they haven't seen deposit number 2 and I tell him I am still making up my mind
He asks who else I am considering/what the hold up is and I tell him school A and that I'm still trying to figure out financing
He asks what I've been offered from school A and says "it will always be financially advantageous to go with us" I say I'm not sure yet.

the truth is I have no offer from school A at all, I haven't even talked to them about money because I felt lucky to be in at all off the waitlist and thought I was in no position at all to ask for cash. What I was trying to figure out about financing is whether I could manage the debt school A would mean, assuming full tuition (oh yeah school B is public and I can get in-state so its way cheaper).

So now I am for the first time trying to understand how money is distributed. do you have to call in and ask for it? another school I was considering seemed to have a "don't call us we'll call you" policy, so they just gave money to unprovoked to whoever they liked.

Should I call school A and ask if they can help with anything, like get closer to school B's in-state? Who would I even call? fin aid?  today I was talking with the dean of admissions so I'm not sure.

My undergrad was financed by my parents so I have no experience with financial aid and wasn't desirable enough for scholarships so this is all new to me.

Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists / UCLA v. Georgetown
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
I'm a Ca resident and no money from Georgetown so UCLA is way cheeper. Both are waitlist offers, so I doubt I'm gonna squeeze anything out of Georgetown or anything.
Winter is my bitter enemy, but wen I spent a spring in DC as an intern I loved it.
I think I ultimately want to work in NY  but really I'm after a national school so I can go anywhere; I'm fickle.

Georgetown is a t-14 but UCLA is like 15 or 16. does it matter at that point?  My #1 priority is my job on graduating, so I will leave socal if it will help but is 1-2 spots on the USNews chart significant?

what is this t-14 business anyway?

Choosing the Right Law School / cancel an uncashed deposit check?
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »
I sent in a deposit to gw two weeks ago. They have not cashed it and I have since recieved a better offer. Think it would be wrong to cancel the check? Wrong or not, think it could damage me in any way? Thanks for input

Law School Admissions / did my apps go out too late?
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »
I got most of my applications in the mail the last week of January and most went complete in the middle/late part of Febuary. I'm still waiting on word from 6 schools or so but most of my top choices have waitlisted me. I had a 3.4/170, if you have numbers like mine and applied early how did you do? I'm trying to decide if I should settle or apply next october.

also, based on friends' experiences I'm assuming waitlist is as good as a rejection. Anybody have reason to think otherwise?

so far I'm waitlisted at columbia penn mich ucla georgetown. my 1st choice is UCLA

Pages: [1]