Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - wheretogo13

Pages: [1]
1
Transferring / transferring to ny schools
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »
i am going to be a 1L next year, and my boyfriend will be a 2L next year. he attended a school ranked in the low/mid 30s. he got pretty good grades, but probably more in top 25-30 percent of his class (still waiting on a grade from this semester). he has applied to transfer to several schools to be with me in new york.

couple questions...

what would be his chances at fordham? we think that is probably his best option. we feel like one of his strengths is that he is coming from a pretty good school to begin with, so fordham wouldn't be an unrealistic jump.

also, we know that they generally tell people that you'll hear about transfers in late july/early august. is this generally pretty true, or do some people hear earlier than that??

thanks!

2
Transferring / Wisconsin to NYC schools...
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
I am going to law school in New York in the fall and my soon-to-be fiance is looking to transfer from Wisconsin to one of the schools in NYC.

He is planning to apply to Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. Anyone out there heard of successes doing this from a school like Wisconsin, especially any success stories at Columbia/NYU?? What kind of numbers did they have??

3
I had the interview call a little over a week ago. According to the Toby Stock blog, it looks like since I didn't get a phone call Friday or Monday, I'm not getting in. However, I haven't heard waitlist or deny yet, either, and I'd really like to know exactly what my options are before sending in a deposit for Columbia. I've seen on here that lots of people got the waitlist and deny e-mails last week, but I didn't. Anyone else in the same boat??

4
Where should I go next fall? / NYU with 50k vs. Columbia with ??
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
I got a 50k scholarship from NYU, and I have to decide by Monday. I have not been given any money from Columbia, but have been in communication with them and gave them information on all of my scholarships...so there is a chance, I suppose.

I liked Columbia a little bit better than NYU, but because they are so similar in a lot of ways, I'm not sure how to decide. I liked the feel of the Columbia campus and law school better than NYU, but that's a pretty subjective thing. I'm also not sure what type of law I want to go into, so I can't really base my decision off of that.

Thoughts??

5
Where should I go next fall? / columbia/nyu vs. 90K @ northwestern
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
I've gotten into both Columbia and NYU, but it doesn't look like I will get any money from them.

My next choice is probably a $90,000 scholarship from Northwestern.

-I don't know exactly what I want to do after law school.
-I'm from the Midwest so Chicago would be easier, but I've always wanted to spend a few years in New York.
-I didn't really like Northwestern, and I am visiting New York next week. I think I'm going to go visit Northwestern again to give it another chance.

Thoughts?

6
Where should I go next fall? / Columbia v. NYU
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
My guess is that this topic exists somewhere on this board, but I don't have time to look through over 500 pages to find it....and I can't seem to find a way to search for it.

Obviously they are both great schools, but I won't get the chance to visit them until April. Anyone else trying to decide between the two? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but since I got into both Columbia and NYU, I'm looking for real people's views on how to differentiate the two than what all their brochures say... :)

7
I applied to 13 schools, and so far I've gotten into six several great schools so far, including NYU and Columbia. However, I applied pretty late in the process, and I am only now receiving "application complete" emails from some schools, including Harvard's just today. Their email said it could take over 2 months to hear a decision from today's date. Does anyone know if they really wouldn't let you know before May 1?? All the schools I've been accepted to so far require the deposit by May 1...

I suppose I could always accept at a school and then withdraw if I did get into Harvard, but I know that is either explicitly not allowed at some schools or is frowned upon by other schools. I wouldn't want to risk it, unless of course I talked to someone at the school about it and they said it was OK to do.

Any ideas?

Pages: [1]