Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - ChangedMan

Pages: [1]
I'm planning on trying to get some more out of W & L against a full ride at Cardozo and lower requirements for Cardozo off W&L. I will be sending out the email tomorrow, I just don't know who it would be best to send it to. Director for Admissions? Assistant Director? Anyone who has done this have any suggestions as to who and perhaps the approach you used if successful?

Choosing the Right Law School / Cardozo 90k / W & L 45k / BU
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
Decision time is nearing here and by April 1st I will have to make the deposit at W & L to hold the scholarship. I'm from NY (Westchester so I could commute to Cardozo) and as of right now I'd like to stay in NY (haven't really lived outside of it so I can't rule it out but I love it here and can't see a place being better to live/have a career). In my haste to complete applications I never turned in the scholarship letter from BU, figuring that it would be like most schools and all applicants would be considered for merit. I haven't seen any of the schools yet but I will be seeing W 8 L for the open house and BU likely this week. I can also daytrip it down to Cardozo.

I don't have aspirations to work 90 hours a week and get paid for it, I'd probably be much happier with fewer hours while absorbing the pay hit. I also have been working at a firm in the city for the past year and will be returning during this summer. They have already made their intentions clear that they'd like for me to stick with them throughout law school and post law school.

So, that being said, what is the play here? Can I ask W & L to consider an increase? Will Cardozo QOL/Job prospects be worth the extra 45k saved? For the record the Cardozo GPA requirement is a 3.3 and the W & L is a 3.0.

Law School Admissions / Waitlist at UCONN?!?!
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
WHAT THE HECK? Words cannot express my frustration right now.
Statistics: 166 LSAT, 3.8 GPA good resume, good recs and I get wait listed?!?!? Anyone else get a similar letter in the mail today? I'm tempted to send the letter back to them with a big FU. It was really near the top of my list due to proximity.

Any reasonable explanations for this?

Law School Admissions / Fee Waiver off Dec Score?
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »
Hi all. I went up from a 162 to a 166 on the December test and I'm looking to apply to some more of the top 25 schools. I know time is a strong factor here and I don't want to have my application out much later then new years but do schools issue fee waivers like they do following the fall administration? There are some schools I'd definitely apply to and consider going to but it might be overkill for me to apply to 3-4 more schools for another 250 bucks. If and when can we expect fee waivers for merit?

Also on a side note I've gotten two decisions back off my old score, accepted at Miami$$$$ and rejected at Fordham (despite the fact I indicated I was taking it again, my new score would seemingly have given me a strong chance. Jerks.) Here's to hoping I don't see any more decisions in the mail for at least a week which should mean the other schools waited on the score.

Thanks in advance.

I finally finished up my Personal statement and it is a little over 3 pages double spaced. Obviously I can cut it down but I'm trying to see how much. The Fordham site states

# Is a personal statement required?

Yes. It can be written on the topic of your choice and should not exceed two pages, single or double spaced.

So essentially they're saying it can be 2 pages single which is equivalent to roughly 4 1/4 double or two pages double. Am I reading this correctly?!? Also what is the etiquette for the optional statement regarding length, mine is about 3 1/4 pages as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all. I received a 162 on my first sitting in September and I have decided to retake as I would like to have a chance at Fordham/NYU. My breakdown for the Sept 07 was as follows (Number wrong per section) 6 Games / 6 RC / 4 LR / 4 LR. I took a worthless kaplan course over the summer that really didn't help all that much. I have heard a lot about powerscore and will likely order both the LG/LR Books tomorrow. I have roughly a month left to study, is it worth getting both books? Will I be able to work through them? (I know it depends on personal ability but I have no idea how long they are). Also what are some tips about going up in RC?

I was practicing from 165-173 before the exam and had some unfortunate circumstances arise on test day which really threw me off my game.

Law School Admissions / Question about waiting on an additional score
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »
I took the LSAT in sept and scored a 162. I had some unfortunate circumstances on test day as I was in a car accident literally moments before the test and really wasn't able to focus 100%. I know 162 is a pretty good score but I also know 4 more points gets me consideration at a whole different level of schools. Applying earlier is obviously advantageous but what is the correct process for this situation? Should I apply and send an additional addendum requesting they wait for my December score to make a final decision? Should I just fill out the dates your taking the test on the application as December as well and leave it at that?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Choosing the Right Law School / 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
Hello all. First post here.

I have a 3.6 from a decent Northeast school and a 162 on the LSAT. I had been scoring in the low 170's high 160's on practice tests but was in a car accident literally just a few minutes before the test so I was a little shaken up to say the least. I'd like to stay somewhere in the Northeast to Mid-Atlantic area. I have received fee waivers for Washington and Lee and William and Mary and those are probably about the only two out of all the waivers I would consider going to. Two questions.

1. Where should I apply? I have a list going already but I will refrain from posting it as I want to get some outside info from the posters here first.

2. I'm registered to take it again in Dec, should I wait to apply until my score comes in (big risk?) or apply with what I have now and inform them of my latest score.

Pages: [1]