« on: March 12, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
Seat deposits are due in about a month...UM needs $300 by April 16th and American needs $700...Not a problem b/c I can afford both, its just that I want to start narrowing things down a bit...Of all of my acceptances, I've narrowed it down to these two and have got my gut feeling and reasons for having it, I just was curious about what others would do.
Here are my intial thoughts:
1. 43 vs. 65, not a huge difference either way.
2. AU is 3rd/4th best in DC area while UM is 3rd best in FL- 1st everywhere between W. Palm Beach and Miami.
3. DC is the larger market, but there are also more Law Graduates in DC, thus more competition.
4. Overall, AU is probably more portable except for in the Northeast where they may be equal. Ultimately,
I don't know where I'd like to settle, but DC or Miami would both be fine for the first few years.
5. AU is better for Int'l Law and I'm interested in Public Int'l Law (examples-UN, International Trade Commission)
but also Corporate Law and Sports/Entertainment Law is a close third.
6. COL is comparable in both cities.
7. I like warm weather over cold weather, but not enough to make it a determining factor.
8. $16K scholarship at UM, $0 at AU.
* factors 1-8 are not listed in order of importance.
Basically, which school would be better for someone not sure what he wants to do and just wants a good well- rounded legal education and decent opportunities after graduation.
I visited AU and will visit UM at the end of this month.
Any and all comments are welcome...