This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Topics - Sweetpri
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:50:49 AM »
I applied through T.H.E. for my Stafford, no problems, but I've tried to apply for Grad Plus at T.H.E., Nellie Mae, and AFC but it wont let me - I get this message...
Your Institution participates in The Federal Direct Lending Program. Although the school you have selected does not participate in the FFELP program, there may be private sources of funding that we can assist you with.
Anyone know what this means? The main reason I'm so confused (besides the fact that my finaid office is very difficult to get in touch with) is we have a seperate grad plus application to fill out for the school - it's very short, just info, but it had a box to check whether you're using their preferred lender (Nelnet), and under it there is a box to check if you used a different lender where you're supposed to write in the lender code and name.
So confused! I hope I can get through to the finaid office today!
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
I thought I'd see what you guys have to say about this since my school seems to be ignoring my phone calls and e-mails on this subject...
My school's health plan in regards to prescriptions is terrible. It covers up to $500 of prescriptions per year, the prescriptions I'm on cost almost $400/month, so their plan isn't going to work for me.
Does anyone know if schools consider raising COL budget to include private health insurance? I would like to buy a plan from blue cross but the rates are around $300-500/month (and there would be co-pays)....
Has anyone done this before?
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:05:29 AM »
Are they included in the tuition & fees costs, or do we have to take it out of our living expenses?
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
I ended up not being able to take the class last fall and I didn't use any of the books - it comes with tons of practice tests, practice questions, full-length course lesson book, and stratosphere workshop. They're worth at least a few hundred dollars but I'll consider any reasonable offer. Shipping in the US is $20. Send me a message!
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »
The "Expected Family Contribution" that's on my SAR is insane - I'm on my own, not working anymore, trying to pay off some debt - there is no way I can contribute 10k/year to my tuition myself. I'm 98% sure I'm going to Toledo and they should be getting my SAR within the next couple of weeks - is it a good idea to tell them now that there's no way I can could contribute the 10k/year (or really anything at all!), or is it better to wait until they send me the financial aid package that they've prepared?
Is anyone else having this problem - what are you doing?
« on: May 28, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »
I only have a couple of more days to make up my mind - I've been planning on withdrawing but the fact that it is my only acceptance right now (and may be my only one of the cycle) is freaking me out...but I have more cons on my list than pros...
Cons of JMLS:
Job prospects don't seem all too great, even if I don't care about BIGLAW
So many schools in Chicago, and JMLS is the lowest
I don't like that it's not affiliated with a university
They ignore my emails asking questions even though I'm an admitted student who paid a seat deposit
Pros of JMLS:
The school seems to be improving with bar passage and employment stats
School is in a good location
It's a big school so there must be lots of alumni out there
They let me in
What do you guys think? My #1 concern about this school is the value for the amount of debt I would incur. Should I give them the $200 for the 2nd seat deposit just in case I dont get in anywhere else and up regretting withdrawing? Or is it better to just wait a year and apply to less expensive schools earlier?
Thanks so much!
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »
Still tons of people pending on LSN - they havent been making many decisions lately and they've still been deferring people in the past few weeks. Their application deadline was 3/1 so it's not like they've been getting a bunch of new apps coming in - what's going on?? According to LSN many of the pending should be auto-rejects (myself included, although still holding out false hope for PT since the rejection hasnt shown up yet) - come on and put me out of my misery please!
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
If a school says it's your responsibility to contact them to find out if your file is complete, how long should I wait after my LSAC account says my report & letters have been sent to the school before I send them an e-mail asking if my file is complete?
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »
Wouldn't that be awesome? At this point I would pay each school $500-$1000 to get my files reviewed and get my decisions in the next 48 hours. Maybe the adcomms would have to work a ton of overtime but think of the money they would make...
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:50:59 AM »
NIU sent me some info in the mail a few months ago with a letter asking me to apply - I was interested but I have location restraints and at the time I didn't think it would be feasible for me. This has recently changed so on Friday I sent in my application - their deadline is today.
Do schools look unfavorably on people who apply at the last minute...maybe think they are lazy or don't really want to go to the school?
Do you think it would help to write a short addendum about why I applied so late and that I am very interested in their program?
I really wish I had applied earlier!