This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Topics - Nickledime85
« on: April 14, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
Hey everyone :-)
I'm an incoming 1L, and I'll be starting to look for apartments in May. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about where to live. I've heard that most students live in Shadyside or North Oakland. Are there any apartment complexes any of you would recommend? Where is rent the cheapest?
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »
So, I just got a call from the dean saying I'm off the wait list. I've already decided on Pitt, but just to be sure, am I passing something up here? I know the campus is beautiful, but I sort of blocked out any data after their non-decision on my file.
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »
I finally decided I'm going! Anyone else?
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:58:41 AM »
I expected it, but couldn't it have taken them less than 4 months to tell me, "you suck?" Damn.
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »
Ok, so barring an acceptance from Tulane, these 2 schools are my final choices. For me, here are the pros and cons of each:
top notch health and international certificate programs
low cost of living
IMO, very friendly administration
little local competition
7 hours from home
potential restriction to the pittsburgh legal market if i don't have the grades i expect of myself
in-state, cheaper-by-comparison tuition
1 hour from home
in-school clinic facility in constitutional litigation
on-campus graduate housing, brand new
35% clerkship placement
promoted agenda of public interest in all classes (or so it seems)
I'm kind of at a loss for which school to choose, and I was just hoping someone could offer a very candid opinion on this. I've always stayed close to home, but Pitt seems like an academically superior school (in comparison to Rutgers) while Rutgers forces me to stay in my comfort zone.
« on: March 29, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »
I applied to Tulane in late December with split numbers, and was told 1 month ago that my application is under review. Should I be worried, since I still haven't heard back from them, or should I just call? I know the seat hold deposit is due soon, and while I don't want to be pushy, knowing would be awesome.
Based on what I've seen among other applicants, a decision is usually emailed out 2-3 weeks after application review. Maybe I should just take a chill pill?
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
I know this topic has been posted before, but I'd like some feedback on my situation.
I'm interested in civil rights, constitutional, and labor and employment law. I've been accepted to both schools, and am currently drawn to RU-N because of its cheaper tuition. I plan on visiting during the next two weeks, but I'm just hoping for some feedback about what the key differences are between these schools in terms of job prospects, academics, student life, etc.
Also, if anyone attends either school or knows someone who does, please give me a candid view of what you know.
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »
I was just pleasantly surprised to learn that I got into the University of Pittsburgh. Even though I'm pretty well informed about its programs, I know absolutely nothing about the school itself. Could anyone, who either attends or has visited, provide me with info about the facility, the city of Pittsburgh, the student body, and job opportunities? So far, it's the best ranked school I've been accepted to, but I don't have a visit planned until March and I'm inpatient for info...
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
So, here's the story. I took the LSAT in Sept, got a 158, and was semi-disappointed. My practice scores were all in this range, however, so I guess I couldn't have expected much higher. In January, after applying to Brooklyn Law, I got a letter from them urging me to retake the test, as my score falls slightly below their average. I told them to hold my application, and signed up for the February test.
Fast forward a couple weeks, and let's just say that I haven't practiced and do not feel confident that my score will improve enough to be accepted there. If I were to get in with a 158, the $50,000+ yearly expense would be a huge issue for me. After just getting into Rutgers Newark, one of my top choices, I am hesitant about retaking for several reasons:
1- I don't think I have a great shot of improving
2- By the time my score will come in, it will be late February and my chances for admission to Brooklyn will be lowered (even with a slight improvement)
3- I don't think I can afford the school if I don't get money to go there
So, basically there is a chance my score could go up. By some miracle, I could earn a 165 and get money to attend schools who do want me. However, that chance is so-so.
In my place, would you retake the LSAT, submit your application as-is to Brooklyn, or withdraw from Brooklyn?
I apologize for this long-winded post, but I'm pretty confused about this...
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:48:33 PM »
...I just found out today. Has anyone ever been waitlisted there? I'm curious about how long it will take for me to hear their final decision.