Do schools look upon a 3.7 that much more favorably than a 3.6? Does that 1 point make a big difference?
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Topics - Tess R.
I know that LSAC converts an A- to a 3.67, but when I use the LSAC GPA calculator (http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/), it converts an A- to a 3.7. I have 6 A-s, and I'm worried now that my GPA won't be as high as I think it will because of this?
Another question - I have 9 classes left to finish my degree, and have about a 3.63 now. I think I'd have to get an A in all 9 of the classes that I have left to bring my GPA up to a 3.7. In order to get a minor in another subject, I have to take 5 classes in that subject. I have 3 classes in Psychology and Sociology, so I would only need 2 more in either to have a minor. Is this a good idea? It would only mean 1 more semester part-time, and maybe it would help bring up my GPA?
I am taking the June LSAT, but I want to take a class this spring so I can have time to study what I learned in the class on my own. I have the Powerscore bibles, but haven't done much with them yet besis look through them. I was hoping to take a Powerscore class, but the one offered in my area starts in January and ends in February, which isn't totally convenient for me, though I think I could swing it. There is a Testmasters class that goes from March through May, and while the timing for this class is better for me, from what I've read, Powerscore might be better, and since I have looked through the Powerscore bibles already, I feel like that's the one I should take. Do anyone have any advice as to which class or scenario might be better for me? Thanks!!!
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »
I plan on taking the June LSAT, and have not studied much at all on my own. Is it better to do a full prep class (Powerscore) right before the test, say in April, or do the class in February (if that is even offered) and then have 2 months to practice what I learned in the class? I'm thinking the latter seems like the wiser choice, but I'm wondering what others have done and if you feel that the timing of your prep class workd well for you. Thanks!
This question has probably been asked before, but can anyone tell me how the LSDAS works when I have not yet gotten my degree? Basically I am dying to know how my withdrawals from one school will be calculated by LSAC, but at what point will I be able to know that? (they do have that transcript and I have registered with LSDAS). Do I need to call and ask, or will what they have be in my online file somewhere? And what does LSAC send to schools I apply to if I don't have a final transcript?
Thanks for your help!
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:23:23 PM »
I took a few classes at a school over 10 years ago - I also withdrew from about 7 classes at said school. I had some extenuating circumstances at the time (mother had just died), but at this particulat school, they allow you 5 Ws and after that the withdrawal is ounted in your GPA. This made the 3.whatever I had become a 1.5 I believe. I transferred the 3 classes I took there, and the GPA was never an issue, but I'm afraid it will be with LSAC (even though these were straight withdrawals).I have since maintained above a 3.5 GPA, so of course schools will be able to see that 1.5 is not indicative of my actual grades, but will writing an addendum really make a difference? If LSAC calculates my GPA using those withdrawals as 0's, will the schools still see my GPA as the high 3 is really is?
no big deal? I went from a 3.8 to a 3.67 by getting an A- and a B+ (my first B in a long time), which I'm really annoyed about. Will this matter? Am I much less likely to get into a school with a 3.6 as opposed to a 3.8? Am I worrying for nothing?
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
I am - and disappointed, but I'm just not prepared enough to do as well as I hope to. The feeling that I get is that to take it in December is not ideal for applying for 2009. Is that true? My goal was to apply early, since I'm older than the average applicant and feel like I need whatever help I can get. If I still have a good shot with applications by taking the test in Dec., I'll do it; otherwise I'll wait until next September, give myself a full year of studying maybe 10 hours per week, and hopefully my score will be worth the wait. Is anyone else changing your test date?
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
Is that enough time? How many hours per week should I plan for? I took an untimed test, but not all at once, and got 6 wrong in RC, 6 wrong in LR, and 11 wrong in games, which is where I anticipate having the most trouble. I'm aiming for 165+. I feel like 2 months isn't enough time, but I'd hate to put this off for another year.