« on: August 04, 2005, 10:50:09 AM »
I did not apply to those schools, don't know your numbers, and have no clue when they begin classes, that being said:
1. Some schools have no choice but to notify you at the last minute because some people drop out at the last minute. Yes this is incredibly frustrating, but you need to decide what your deadline is. Are you willing to go to the last day? For some people this answer is no, because of moving, family, or financial considerations. If this is you, then I would pick a deadline for myself and get some things in order in case they call, i.e. research the areas around the school so that if you do get the call, you are not completely in the dark about the apartment situation. Find out about moving costs, and if you are in a lease right now, what happens if you have to break it. You will have to deal with these factors, if the WL comes through and at least you will know what you are in for.
2. I am sure you know this, but call, visit, or e-mail them. Say, I know you are busy this time of year but I am still very interested in your school and am willing to attend until the last minute. Ask if they have any idea if there will be movement (obviously they will not tell you for sure) but ask if they are still over-enrolled...if not, then that ups the chance of someone being pulled from the WL. If they still have more people than seats, hope is not over but that just means that many more people will have to drop the school before they go to the WL. If they are willing to tell you- your rank on the WL or even how many people are still on the WL- this may also give you an understanding of your chances. Don't be so pushy that it alienates them, but seem very interested in your chances.
3. You are on four WLs. I think this helps you because you have more than one opportunity working for you. Esp. since some of those schools are close together, people may opt to attend one over the other, and a space could open up.
4. Would you be willing to accept PT? It is not ideal but there is a pretty good chance if you keep your grades up, that you can transfer into FT after the first or second semester. Your opportunities are the same but you just have to be willing to make up the extra class. If you would, then call the school and notify them.
Bottom Line: I think you still have a chance. I got off my first choice WL two weeks ago, I had to accept PT but it was worth it to me because that was the school I had wanted since the beginning. I had a couple other acceptances for FT but I just had my heart set on Brooklyn and could not refuse. Movement is still going on...with a little flexibility and good fortune I think you stand a chance. G