« on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:21 PM »
so here's a scenario:
School A is barely a T14 and School B is barely not, comparable placement stats.
Both schools accepted me after waitlisting me initially
I have deposits at both
Today School B calls and asks what I'm up to since they haven't seen deposit number 2 and I tell him I am still making up my mind
He asks who else I am considering/what the hold up is and I tell him school A and that I'm still trying to figure out financing
He asks what I've been offered from school A and says "it will always be financially advantageous to go with us" I say I'm not sure yet.
the truth is I have no offer from school A at all, I haven't even talked to them about money because I felt lucky to be in at all off the waitlist and thought I was in no position at all to ask for cash. What I was trying to figure out about financing is whether I could manage the debt school A would mean, assuming full tuition (oh yeah school B is public and I can get in-state so its way cheaper).
So now I am for the first time trying to understand how money is distributed. do you have to call in and ask for it? another school I was considering seemed to have a "don't call us we'll call you" policy, so they just gave money to unprovoked to whoever they liked.
Should I call school A and ask if they can help with anything, like get closer to school B's in-state? Who would I even call? fin aid? today I was talking with the dean of admissions so I'm not sure.
My undergrad was financed by my parents so I have no experience with financial aid and wasn't desirable enough for scholarships so this is all new to me.