What type of people love it? Good writers who are fond of detail?
Also, I would love to hear some discussion of BigLaw salaries in Chicago.
Personally I, at this point, really enjoy the practice of the law. I love digging into the minutiae to found something obscure and just frankly love reading and research the law. And I don't mind spending a lot of my days and nights devoting my energies towards doing those things. Obviously, the money is a nice by product.
But I have several classmates who after last summer (we just graduated) are already second guessing doing this for a living because those chose law school because they didn't know what to do with their life and heard the law made good money. One friend has already said that she is out after a year of practice (she obviously didn't tell the firm), another friend a year ahead of us is already talking about quitting and going into the peace corps, and another friend is studying for the bar and afterwords will immediately start applying for MLS programs because she can't imagine actually practicing.
It's not like on TV and for a lot of people (like my aforementioned friends) it's just not for them. I probably think of my friends and acquaintances, that less than 20% actually love the law and can't imagine doing anything else. Not to say that others won't stick it out but I do think a good chunk of the remaining 80% won't be attorneys 10 years from now.