Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - LawSchoolAuthority

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Choosing the Right Law School / Re: W&L 3L Taking Questions
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
I split with two midsize firms in VA. Students from our class have been all over the place, but my impression is mostly NY/DC/VA/NC.   Alamo may have a better perspective as far as where our class has been/is going. 

Current Law Students / Re: Where do you get E&Es?
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
You can find used or new copies of almost any E&E on amazon or  E&Es are tailored towards specific subjects. So if you will be taking contracts, property, torts, and civpro, and you are looking to buy E&E's now, you can get a copy for each of those subjects. 

Law School Admissions / Re: Getting off a waitlist
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »
I'll take a look at it if you would like.  You can send me a PM or an email, whatever you prefer. 

Choosing the Right Law School / Re: LOCI and updated resume
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:09:58 AM »
There are a couple recent threads in the "Applying to Law School" section regarding sending in LOCIs that you may find helpful.  Also, here's a recent blog post regarding getting off of a waitlist that discusses LOCIs -

Incoming 1Ls / Re: Seattle U Class of 2012
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »
Do any of you guys have contacts within the school or are attending the school?  I'm looking to see if I can find a professor's old exam who works at Seattle U but is visiting at my university this semester.  If so, PM me.

Tetris, I sent you a PM.

Incoming 1Ls / Re: Seattle U Class of 2012
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:01:49 AM »
I would strongly recommend taking the summer crimlaw course.  I think around 75% of incoming 1Ls take the five week summer course, which in my opinion gives those who take the summer class a heads up over the other 25% when classes start in the fall.

While it would be nice not have to worry about law school during your 0L summer, I think the class is a nice intro to law school.  During the summer, you'll meet the majority of your classmates, find your way around the campus/law building, get a feel for how law school classes are taught, etc... Additionally, I think the summer crimlaw class is taught at somewhat of a lower level compared to your fall classes because your prof knows that this is your first exposure to law school.  Accordingly, in addition to the substantive course material, much of the summer is based around learning how to outline, exam writing skills, statutory interpretation, etc...

Law School Admissions / Re: how to explain..
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
I would agree with some of the above posts that you should only submit an addendum if (1) the circumstances require explanation and (2) you have a compelling reason explaining the circumstances.

In the case of LSAT addenda, depending on your circumstances, you may feel compelled to submit an explanation.  However, as one of the above posters pointed out, being busy during test week and having midterms likely sounds more like whining rather than a compelling explanation. 

With that said, I think you can still legitimately submit an effective addendum as long as you keep it short, sweet, and to the point.  A short and simple LSAT addendum will give an admissions committee all that they need to review your file.  Accordingly, I would draft a brief, professional letter stating that you did not perform to the best of your ability during your first LSAT, and realizing this shortcoming, you took affirmative measures to ensure your full potential would be reflected by your second LSAT. 

Each school may handle a second score differently, but for any school, I think a brief succinct addendum will serve you best.

Job Search / Re: Start date pushed back
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts. 

I may already have something lined up for the fall, but we'll see. 

I guess my concern is really about whether this may be something that does not improve and I basically have to enter a job market already over-saturated with quality candidates for a competitive job . . .

I think a lot of 3Ls/new associates share this concern, and probably for good reason.  Is probably clear that the private sector market will be saturated with quality candidates like you mentioned. On top of that, it seems like the public sector will be significantly affected as well.  ATL did a story a little while ago about Biglaw associates and newbies flooding the public interest market.

If you have any questions about w&l, let me know.

Law School Admissions / Re: Washington & Lee applications are up
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
Here's what the Dean and Associate Dean had to say about the increase in applications.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4