Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visit to Emory  (Read 1282 times)

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Visit to Emory
« on: September 29, 2004, 12:41:08 AM »
I visited Emory on Monday (during the hurricane, of course).  A few tidbits, for those who are interested....

They don't have an early action/decision program.  As such, the adcomms don't begin reviewing applications until late December or early January.  However, those who get their applications in now are likely to receive their decisions earliest in the rolling process(starting mid-January). 

My application receipt notification email said that they won't request my LSDAS report for 4-6 weeks.  So maybe that means they start requesting in late October, or maybe it means that they request 4-6 weeks from receipt of application.  Not sure.

So those applying to Emory are in for a wait.

Nice building (Starbucks!), nice neighborhood.  Each student gets a locker.

Oh, and I met DesiATL.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Emory
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 12:47:15 AM »
One more thing...they claim not to care how you fill out your application, as long as it's legible.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 01:04:39 AM »
When did you send the app, and how long after did you get the receipt.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 01:08:47 AM »
I sent the app on 9/19 or 9/20, got the receipt email Monday afternoon (9/27).  The lady that did the info session is apparently also the person that processes the incoming applications and sends out the notification emails.  She had been away at a couple of law school forums (hence the delay) and is leaving again on Thursday.  So there may be some lag time.

BAFF213

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:20:36 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in - I'm probably applying to Emory.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:21:23 AM »
good to know!  Damn lag time.  Oh well.  I'll be thrilled to find out at most of my schools by Feb, since that's really when i'm solidifying my trip to go visit schools.  I don't want to plan to visit a school and then a week or day before I find out I got rejected.

TheDecline

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »
I visited Emory on Monday (during the hurricane, of course). A few tidbits, for those who are interested....

They don't have an early action/decision program. As such, the adcomms don't begin reviewing applications until late December or early January. However, those who get their applications in now are likely to receive their decisions earliest in the rolling process(starting mid-January).

My application receipt notification email said that they won't request my LSDAS report for 4-6 weeks. So maybe that means they start requesting in late October, or maybe it means that they request 4-6 weeks from receipt of application. Not sure.

So those applying to Emory are in for a wait.

Nice building (Starbucks!), nice neighborhood. Each student gets a locker.

Oh, and I met DesiATL.

Thanks for the info.  Did you sit in on a class or just talk to admissions?  Could you get a feel for how competitive the students are?

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 02:08:55 PM »
I sat in on a class.  It didn't seem very competetive to me at all.  In fact, the lecturer seemed to have sort of a hard time coaxing answers out of students when he didn't call on anyone specifically.  There definitely weren't any gunners in that one.  Overall, you could tell that students were serious about their work, but not in a cutthroat, non-collegial sort of way.

BAFF213

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 02:40:20 PM »
I sat in on a class.  It didn't seem very competetive to me at all.  In fact, the lecturer seemed to have sort of a hard time coaxing answers out of students when he didn't call on anyone specifically.  There definitely weren't any gunners in that one.  Overall, you could tell that students were serious about their work, but not in a cutthroat, non-collegial sort of way.

Sounds great.  Maybe I'll go to Emory then (if I get a 165 on Saturday).

BAFF213

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 02:41:11 PM »
JK about the 165, I'll be lucky if I get a 161.