Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal School of Law?  (Read 7187 times)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Coastal School of Law?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
I agree with the above post, paying 40K for a school you aren't excited about is a bad idea.  I would reconsider sitting out a year, or aggressively working those waitlists.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Ellis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
I was accepted to both Denver and FL Coastal, and Denver was my first choice of all my apps.  I am super excited about it, although as previously mentioned, tuition is a beast.  I have a friend who graduated from FL Coastal, and has his own firm in Jacksonville.  He is very well off, so the school doesn't define the career path that follows.  Maybe I am being naive, but, I usually stay in control of my own destiny, so no school will prevent me from being successful, despite how unknown it is.  Denver is ranked 77, still in the t100, so I am proud of that.
Accepted: Denver, FL Coastal
Waitlisted: Wyoming

s9120aa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »
Tuition at Denver is ~$30,500k (according to lsac.org).

May I ask where you got the $40k from? Did they just recently increase it for Sept 07?

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »
Probably $40k+ factoring in COL

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 01:37:35 AM »
42 k a year with COL...

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »
Oh, I thought you meant the tuition was 40k!  30k is pretty normal for tuition, but I still don't think you should spend that much if you're not excited about going there...
University of Toledo 0L

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:36:47 PM »
Not to hijack back to Florida Coastal too much, but I'm in jacksonville for the summer, and I'd highly recommend you avoid coastal. Only two people from the law review got summer gigs as 2Ls. Only one at a major firm. Jax only has 4-6 major players in terms of law firms, and coastal isn't well-represented in any of them. It's a heck of a lot of money to pay for a school where nearly everyone struggles to get a job before graduation.

Go to Denver, and cross your fingers for SMU or AZ.

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
I just finished my 1st year at Florida Coastal and have absolutely LOVED it! It's true the school accepts a lot of people and offers them scholarships to entice them into coming. A lot of those people though do not deserve to be in law school. So, the next semester, their scholarship is gone and they have to pay the full tuition. I personally did not get a penny of the scholarship b/c my LSAT was so poor. however, i have a great work ethic and am right now in the top of my class, out of 560 1Ls. the faculty at the school is really helpful and they have a great sports law program for those who are interested. the col is not bad at all in the area. the weather is nice. the school just moved to a brand new building. this certainly helps when you're spending 10-15 hours a day there. the career services is really nice and they have speakers come in every week to educate you about the different areas of the law. this is a great opportunity to network. i really can't say enough about the school. oh, also it is very bar oriented. FCSL did have the #1 passage rate in FL couple of years ago. the jax area is fertile with lawyers and job opportunities. i know the school's ranking isn't top notch but for those serious students who will be at the top of their class, that shouldnt matter. they will get the jobs in the BIGLAW firms definately. i know 2 people that did. then again, i know of one BIGLAW firm in town that never hired a FCSL grad. but really, it's what you make of it. if u have any more Qs about FCSL, please feel free to IM me. i was in this boat a year ago so i understand some of the pressure lots of you feel.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »
i know the school's ranking isn't top notch but for those serious students who will be at the top of their class, that shouldnt matter. they will get the jobs in the BIGLAW firms definately. i know 2 people that did. then again, i know of one BIGLAW firm in town that never hired a FCSL grad. but really, it's what you make of it. 

I only have a couple comments on this: first, it is VERY dangerous to assume you'll be in the top of your class simply because you work hard. Second, two students out of 560 in the class getting Biglaw doesn't mean the top of the class will "definitely" get biglaw. As you mentioned, Foley and Lardner has never hired a FCSL grad, and I've personally heard an associate there say the firm has no intentions to change that policy (and Foley is general counsel for FCSL!). the problem is that of the 6 or so biglaw firms in jax, they hire probably 13 to 16 entry levels annually. ~80% of these go to UF plus any T14 student who wants to move to Jax. Which almost automatically shuts out the FCSL students. It just means that the top of the class at FCSL will still be going to mid-sized firms or waiting until after the Bar to find a job. You can lateral into biglaw pretty easily in Jax, but getting it in the first place is a challenge.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »
Law Geeks comments do not stand up to much scrutiny.  At best FCSL is the #5 school in FL behind UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson.  When you add that Miami is not that hard to get into (especially if you are a URM) and that t has a lot of weight in South FL, I would seriously reconsider going to FCSL.  In fact I would move to FL, work there for a year to get in-state tuition/preference, re-take my LSAT's and apply to UF, FSU and Miami. You will regret going to FSCL (i never applied or expressed any interest in FSCL and they sent me an e-mail offering me a full-ride...again i never even released my info to them via LSAC, makes you pause doesn't it?).