Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LG on PT 39  (Read 1939 times)

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LG on PT 39
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:22:59 AM »
I just went over it again and I got it. It's always easier the second time, of course. I suck at inferences.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:30:01 AM »
I remember doing this game and I remember really liking it. The key here is to Master The Possibilities (TM)

Hmmm I don't recognize what that is... is it called the same thing in LGB? Basically which section of that book do I need to redo? :P
Vandy 1L... really?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
I remember doing this game and I remember really liking it. The key here is to Master The Possibilities (TM)

Hmmm I don't recognize what that is... is it called the same thing in LGB? Basically which section of that book do I need to redo? :P

Powerscore calls it something like ID Templates.

Bearly, put the scan of your work on photobucket or something and post a link.  The dual set-ups based on Z only being able to be in two of the years are key to really see it.

Yep, but that is derived off of recognizing that 92 cannot have any kids in it because 93 has a right handed kid and 91  has a left-handed kid.

I don't want to photobucket and link it because it is on the page with the actual problems, and I believe posting it on the internet may constitute a breach of copyright. I prefer not to risk it.

If you want, I can email it to you.

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
The best part about this game is you can literally feel your boot kicking everyone elses ass for each question you speed through due to careful prep work. I'll do the problem out for future LSATers.

This is an underfunded advanced linear game. We are given 5 people each with one of two chracteristics that are mutually exclusive. They can be distributed into any one of 7 years but not within the same years. Your set up prior to the rules should look like this:

STUWZ (5)
                            -----        -----        -----        -----        -----        -----        -----

LLLRR     
                            -----        -----        -----        -----        -----        -----        -----

'90          '91          '92           '93            '94           '95          '96

After that, we can tackle the rules.

'No two left handed children were born in consectutive years."
~LL (I'd represent this with a box and a slash)

'No two left handed children were born in consectutive years."
~RR

"Sara, who is left handed, was born before Uma."

S            U
       ----
  L            ?

(This one above is harder to show on here; some may argue for the greater than or less than signs to show relative position, but I've dropped these in favor of these lines because they work better for me in pure sequencing games.)

"Zoe was born before both Theo and Will"

W
  /
Z
  \
   T

"A left-handed child was born in '91."
Now we get to add a little to our diagram - lets add the L in '91 and show the ramifications for '90 and 91', but positively.

STUWZ (5)

LLLRR                  R/E           L          R/E

'90          '91          '92           '93            '94           '95          '96

"Uma, who is right-handed, was born in '93"
Now we get something actually useful! Lets add and then start making a couple deductions.

STUWZ (5)                                          E             U

LLLRR                R/E           L            E             R             L/E

We've added Uma and made her right handed and shown the ramification for '93.

Now comes the clever part that you must be patient and see. There are a couple things at play here.

S must be in '91, because S, who is left handed comes before U. There is only one left hander born before '93.

STUWZ (5)                            S            E             U

LLLRR               R/E           L            E             R             L/E

There are only two L's and 1 R left and we know the three people and the relationship between them due to rule 4.

W
  /
Z
  \
   T

We have to make a calculated decision at this point. It's easier to say 'hey, lets do the possibilites' in this game because, duh, there are only like 2 templates with 4 possibilites. But usually you want to sit and think for about 10 seconds and wonder, is it worth the time. You may want to also look at the questions to see if your time would be well spent. Whatever you do, make up your mind fast.

Z is either going to be born in '90 or '94, with T and W being interchangable with the remaining years. If Z is born in '90, she will be right handed, leaving the two L's to be for T and W, engaging the Not Law of LL and making the two split the '94 and '96 years. If Z is born in '94 then Z is left, and T and W split '95 and '96, '95 being Right handed and '96 being left handed. You should represent it this way.

Z     S    X    U    T/W   X   W/T
R     L    X    R     L        X      L

X  S   X   U   Z   T/W  X  W/T
X  L   X   R    L     R     X      L

Happy hunting!

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »
Wow. Great Job! :D
Vandy 1L... really?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
Can anyone give a quick explanation of the 2nd game on the same test? - (I think it was the 2nd game; I don't have the test in front of me) - It's the one with the Hiring, Interviewing and R-something sessions and M, S, and T attend them on 3 different days.

Thanks

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »
Can anyone give a quick explanation of the 2nd game on the same test? - (I think it was the 2nd game; I don't have the test in front of me) - It's the one with the Hiring, Interviewing and R-something sessions and M, S, and T attend them on 3 different days.

Thanks

Jeezis dooder. Want me to come to your LSAT administration with you? ;)

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »

Thanks

Yes please.  :)

BTW Bearly, what kind of diagram is that you used on #3? PR, Kaplan, your own?

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »
That game doesn't have a big set up. The only deduction that is useful is the realization that no one is attending the investing topic on the third day. The hardr questions all revolve around the fact that M and S can't go to the investing on any day and that no one can do repeats on topics or days. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure someone would be happy to explain in more depth.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »

Thanks

Yes please.  :)

BTW Bearly, what kind of diagram is that you used on #3? PR, Kaplan, your own?

#3? I guess you mean 13? That's a princeton review grid.

And, trust me, you do not want me helping you on the real thing. I am *SUPER* slow on games. I get a good % right, but I have yet to finish 3 games on a timed test. It sucks so hard.