Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from University of Miami to a top 20?  (Read 2158 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transferring from University of Miami to a top 20?
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
Just curious how hard/possible this would be?  :) I have no issue with going to U of Miami, Im just curious to see how hard this would be.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from University of Miami to a top 20?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:35:02 PM »
that is what I was thinking, but i was just trying to verify. What schools would I still not have access to though, being in the top 15%? If i pulled that off somehow, would I be able to get into a place like Duke and NYU, or just the upper ones like Boston U?

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
Pulled this off of Cornell's website

"Accepted transfer students are almost always at least in the top 10% of their first-year class"

If I got top 10% at Miami, would I be able to transfer into the really competitive schools, like NYU/Columbia/U of Chicago?

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
tag
???

Its a boring day at work and your threads always brighten my day ;)

though, if you were top 10% at U of M why would you even consider transferring?? Seems you'd own the miami legal market and would have a  shot at biglaw in other markets as well.

I'll be honest, its 90% ego reasons.  Plus I have one of those personalities where I will always aim for more and better, that is just how I am.  Also, a biglaw job would be much more guarunteed at a school like yours than at mine, and maybe I could relax a little bit and not have to be top 10% after 1L. But at Miami, if I can't pull off top 10% after the 1st year, I can't work at the Miami biglaw firms. 

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »
Schools like Yale, UNC, Harvard etc. may be off limits to you because they look at your LSAC and undergrad gpa also. Most schools you transfer too only look at your 1L grades but certain schools say that you must have been a competitive applicant since 0L
UMiami c/o 2010

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
Schools like Yale, UNC, Harvard etc. may be off limits to you because they look at your LSAC and undergrad gpa also. Most schools you transfer too only look at your 1L grades but certain schools say that you must have been a competitive applicant since 0L

I checked out Harvard's transfer admissions just for kicks, and it says they consider LSAT. To me, that makes no sense. The LSAT is designed to measure your potential success at law school, right? So if you are near the top of your class, that would be first hand evidence that you are successful at law school, so why should they care about the test that "predicts" your chance of success, when you have already reached that success? Makes no sense.  :P  I am so excited to start at Miami though, I absolutely can't wait to ditch New Jersey and move down there.  :D

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »
It's gonna be real hard to transfer over. In general it's not easy to transfer to T20 schools.

You'd would have to be like top 10% of your class, with soft factors to probably even be considered.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

I checked out Harvard's transfer admissions just for kicks, and it says they consider LSAT. To me, that makes no sense. The LSAT is designed to measure your potential success at law school, right? So if you are near the top of your class, that would be first hand evidence that you are successful at law school, so why should they care about the test that "predicts" your chance of success, when you have already reached that success? Makes no sense.  :P  I am so excited to start at Miami though, I absolutely can't wait to ditch New Jersey and move down there.  :D

If ou manage a kick ass GPA as a 1L the LSAt won;t be looked on as harshly. And it will be tough to be in top 10% as a 1L