Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT 29 LR question  (Read 912 times)

sketta

• View Profile
PT 29 LR question
« on: May 13, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
2nd LR section (section 4), question 17...

I just don't understand why A is correct.  If the level of confidence does not affect the level of accuracy, it wouldn't matter if a witness's confidence was affected by their awareness of other witnesses.  Am I misunderstanding something?

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
Re: PT 29 LR question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »
Little correlation between accuracy and confidence -----> certain things affect the confidence without affecting accuracy -----> police don't let witnesses hear each other.

A is just rationalizing why they can't hear each other.

When you read this question you should be actively engaged in the question and ask..."Why can't they see each other." and then guess..."Well, maybe hearing what other people have to say screws with their testimony." And then before moving on to the questions, look at the premise and have in mind that the answer must affect the confidence and not the accuracy due to the inclusion of the second premise.

sketta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
Okay, I think I was reading the stimulus as it meaning that the level of confidence wouldn't matter at all, because they would still identify the correct person.  So you are saying that the confidence level is still important... I guess I can see that.

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
I would assume nothing beyond what absolutely needs to be assumed. And in this one, just look at my little arrow pattern. All you need to know is that there is such a thing as 'confidence' and such a thing as 'accuracy' and that they are both parts of a witness statement. They don't have a correlation, but the police are advised to do a certain thing; not let witnesses hear each other.

Under what principle are they acting. Answer A explains it.