Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in New Jersey  (Read 1859 times)

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Living in New Jersey
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:39:16 AM »
So, I've figured out that living in Hoboken is about as expensive as Manhattan.  Anyone know what the nice areas of Jersey City are?  I don't know anything about it and don't know how to evaluate the ads on craigslist.  Thanks.

attic4fp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
Re: Living in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
I can't actually help, as I don't really know the city, but I have two things to say:

1. There definitely ARE nice areas of Jersey City.  Down by the water is beautiful.

2. You might want to retitle your post or make a new one with a new name.  There have been a couple arguments on here recently about Camden and Newark that have people pretty tired of attacking/defending New Jersey.  They may thinking this thread is a "Is Newark Safe?" one and skip it.

Good luck finding a place!  NJ is sweeeet

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »
I wouldn't give up on Hoboken just yet. Obviously, the prices have skyrocketed, but that's because it's awesome. Try looking for apts in:

kannekt.com
   or
hobokeni.com

There are definately great places to be had in some of the beautiful old brownstones, as long as you aren't completely fixated on the new highrises.

dasadder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »
Hoboken is a sweet area and I think you will be able to find some good places for cheaper than Manhattan.  However, watch out for scams.  I have a friend who stumbled upon a few amazing apartments for amazing prices.  Needless to say, what seems too good to be true usually is, and it was just a scam.  Just a warning I guess.
UVA '10

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I think, that since I'm looking for a one bedroom or a studio, the rates are just more expensive.  With a roommate, it is doable.  But I was really hoping to avoid moving in with strangers for my first year of law school.  I've had bad roommates before and I don't want to risk that kind of drama during my first year.  Does anyone know if the Greenville or Jersey City Heights areas are decent, safe?

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
Hoboken is worth the money IMO (and it's cheaper than Manhattan, except for the UES which is about equal in price). If you live uptown Hoboken, or further away from the PATH it's definitely cheaper. The great thing about the HOB is that there's no city tax but as a student that would only affect you during the summers.

JC is fine, especially if you're near the Pavonia/Newport stop. There are parts that are sketchy though.

notengoplata

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »
I live in JC.

You defenitly want to look downtown as close to the grove street stop as you can - Hamilton Park, Harsimus Cove. There are lots of great restauraunts and a few bars nearby. You kind of want to stay away from the heights and greenville for two reasons:

1) They are boring and there is nothing to do on weekends
2) You have to take a bus, and than the path into NYC - or the Bus into NYC - which kind of defeats the purpose (for me anyway) of living in Jersey City. The path train is a straight shoot right into lower manhattan - so if you can find a place in walking distance, I would jump on it. I see FOR RENT signs all the time in the downtown area. Take a trip there and take a look. I have found all the apartments I have had in JC without a realtor.  NJ.Com is very good too, they have apartment listings.

Again, stay away from greenville, the heights, journal square...and look over by the grove street stop (pavonia/newport gets a little more pricey kind of how hoboken prices are).

Hope this helps.

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
In case anyone else is pondering the living situation there, I'll share my thoughts.  I drove around some potential living areas on Saturday and these were my impressions.

Driving through the Holland Tunnel sucks.  I'll definitley be sticking with public transportation next year.  That being said, Jersey City is basically right there when you exit the tunnel.  My favorite section was by the Grove Street stop.  It felt like a neighborhood in transition, lots of contruction going on.  I told myself that if I could find somewhere good to eat that it would be a good omen - and there was a handful of cafes to choose from.  There were some blocks that seemed a little  sketchy and some blocks that were tree lined and peaceful.  I know I'll need a roommate to afford this area.  The neighborhood around the Path train stop where all the high rises are seemed kind of lonely.  Just tall buildings. Then I went to the Journal Square area.  Wasn't thrilled.  I grew up in NYC and am not intimidated by urban areas, it just isn't the quiet enviornment I pictured returning home too after a stressfull day of school.  Then I visited the Ironbound section of Newark which I actually thought was quite cute and very lively.  It is also very affordable and near campus.  However, I don't think I'm quite ready yet to move that far into Jersey - my whole life is in the city and I think it is more important to me to be closer to NY than closer to campus.  I'll have to learn about this whole light rail thing.  I looked at the houses on Society Hill in Newark.  Did not like the vibe, all these identical townhouses in rows up on a hill.  I'm sure there was more to see but that was enough for one day.

I didn't visit Hoboken again - I've already been there and know it is nice and that I will need to find a roommate there as well. 

calcio103

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
Well, unless I hear back from Tulane sometime before I find a place, it looks like I'm heading to Rutgers this fall.  I will be looking for apartments in Hoboken over the next few weeks.  I hate the prices, but the vibe, energy, and location definately make up for it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a "rutgers 2010 thread" or facebook group?
Free Parking(A): Tulane, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Pacific($$), Baylor, Rutgers-N
Go Directly to Jail(R):
Chance (Waitlisted): American, Brooklyn

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »
Not that I know of.