Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 422415 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
*Crickets chirping*

There's a lot of 1Ls around carrying hornbooks, and other non-required-textbook materials. You guys are so studious. It's almost inspiring.

On that note, I am penciling in a Friday start to my studying. It gets harder each passing quarter to try to study for quarters.

titcr. oops at my lack of studying.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
I still can't believe buffet has somehow managed to schedule a 6 day weekend next quarter. Thats insane.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I still can't believe buffet has somehow managed to schedule a 6 day weekend next quarter. Thats insane.

I know.  I was impressed with my four-day weekend.  :(
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Thank you, thank you.  :) You too, can have a 6-day weekend.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Starting today, I'm going to stay as far away from the Law School as possible, with the obvious exceptions of exams.  I really can't handle everyone's stress, especially in that terrible, anxiety-producing podium rush we had today at the end of class.  Levmore himself refused to answer any questions after the first three because he said, "We're just stressing ourselves out."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Yeah, I often do the same thing when finals rolls around. Avoid the law school, that is, not rush the podium (which doesn't make sense from what I have heard about Levmore's exams: either you get it or you don't, a couple extra questions probably won't help... but I didn't have Levmore so what do I know?).

If you absolutely have to be in a library to study (which I sometimes do, because being at home makes me want to do other, more productive tasks like sleep), Crerar's actually not that bad.

Certainly better than Regenstein and their swastika carrels. Although Regenstein is great if you want to be so miserable that you quickly finish your work and get the hell out of that horrible place (so its better for writing a paper).

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I like your thinking, both with the Levmore idea and the library.  I'm currently sitting at home, eating a bagel and reviewing my Fennell notes.

On a related note, is it just me or are the big DC firms (Hogan, GDC, W&C) not hurting that badly in this recession?  I haven't seen any layoffs at any of the big DC players, even lower-ranked firms like Arent Fox.  Any thoughts on this?  As someone who wants to bid almost exclusively on DC at OCI next year, this gives me some optimism. 

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on DC (for obvious reasons), and the market there doesn't seem to be suffering as much... except for the fact that a lot of national firms that have done layoffs also have offices in DC. It makes sense, given the work most DC firms do, that they won't be affected directly by the economic problems... but we could soon see some secondary effects filter down to DC.

Anyway, I can't speak for everyone, but I got the sense that the past OCI for DC wasn't that different than it was in previous years (whereas OCI was more difficult in some other cities).

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Goodbye 6-day weekend - I just couldn't resist another class. Oh well, less classes next year.

Too bad I'm going to a market so small that ATL reports neither the good nor the bad (but I think my office is doing well).
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
That one really egregious guy is actually pretty nice outside of class.  I don't understand his motivations, though I do enjoy talking to him in non-class contexts.

Levmore has really put the smack down lately.  The "(BLANK) will not be your classmate!" comment was the most outrageous, hilarious thing in law school yet.