Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 421408 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010: "We Sh!t Rigor"
« Reply #3630 on: March 23, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
Wow, its difficult to describe just how bad my law school NCAA bracket is. I mean, I've lost 3 of my 4 Final Four teams. Pitiful.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3631 on: March 24, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »
Dean Levmore email bump

Thoughts?

I personally find it a little Draconian but don't mind much since I was planning to go sans computer this quarter anyway. Interesting policy though. We'll have shi^^y examsoft software next.
U of C 2010

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 24, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
I don't like it. At all.

Especially the automatic universal implementation.

And even more if it leads to an exam software type thing.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3633 on: March 24, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
I don't like it. At all.

Especially the automatic universal implementation.

And even more if it leads to an exam software type thing.

Yeah, they'd better not implement exam software.  Though my understanding is most of that stuff uses the internet too.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3634 on: March 24, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »
The whole idea sounds a little silly. I bet people are more likely to skip class entirely rather than sit through a discussion where they haven't read/have no idea what's going on. In addition, some people will either plug-in or still be able to get reception somehow and I would imagine that it would annoy those around them leading to larger distractions.
U of C 2010

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »
What'd they do, outlaw computers in class?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 24, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »

No. They could never do that. It would lead to rebellion. The armed hordes would march on Levmore's office.

They just got rid of internet access (in most classrooms).

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3637 on: March 24, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
The whole idea sounds a little silly. I bet people are more likely to skip class entirely rather than sit through a discussion where they haven't read/have no idea what's going on. In addition, some people will either plug-in or still be able to get reception somehow and I would imagine that it would annoy those around them leading to larger distractions.

I agree with this.  There is going to be a lot more class skipping, especially of really boring profs.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: March 24, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »

No. They could never do that. It would lead to rebellion. The armed hordes would march on Levmore's office.

They just got rid of internet access (in most classrooms).

Oh, haha. I've had a lot of conversations with friends while they're sitting in class. Have a lot of schools done this, or is chicago at the forefront of luddism?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 24, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »

I agree with this.  There is going to be a lot more class skipping, especially of really boring profs.

Yes. I mean, for that one class 1Ls had last quarter (you know which one I'm talking about), the internet probably played a big role in drawing me to as many classes as I went to. At least with the internet, I had something to do during the 95% of class-time that was useless- allowing me to be there during the 5% of class-time that was actually useful (percentages are approximate- I realize it could be 99/1).

At the margins, I'm sure there are a few people who won't be distracted in class if the internet is not available... but I think that is a far smaller number than Levmore thinks. The internet is just something to use once we're already distracted- its a symptom, not the disease.

Even without actually being able to access the internet, I honestly don't think this is going to stop a lot of the "distracting" activities during class. I imagine most of the (very few) people who play random internet games will just download the games to their computer. And personally, just in case the class I am in IS boring, I plan on having a lot of stuff to read/do saved on my computer.

Plus, this may bring back some good old-fashioned day dreaming.

But the lack of in-class gtalk is going to be bad. How else will I be able to exchange snarky comments with fellow classmates? I assure you, it will be a great deal more distracting for me to whisper them to my neighbor instead of just typing them.

I wonder if they spoke to any (normal) students before doing this...