Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 435137 times)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010: "We Sh!t Rigor"
« Reply #3630 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
I think Hazard's post did a good job of summarizing all of the "Chicago" arguments against the policy.

The thing that bothers me most about this is that I'm sure that this change didn't happen overnight. I bet Levmore and anyone else involved in making a decision like this had at least half a dozen meetings and probably even hired a consultant to figure out ways to turn off the wireless. Imagine if that time or those resources had been used to work on bringing in new faculty or keeping old ones (cough cough Sunstein cough cough) I would imagine that I would feel a little better about my $40K going to pay their salaries then.

Just my 2 cents.
U of C 2010

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3631 on: March 25, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »
I think Hazard's post did a good job of summarizing all of the "Chicago" arguments against the policy.

The thing that bothers me most about this is that I'm sure that this change didn't happen overnight. I bet Levmore and anyone else involved in making a decision like this had at least half a dozen meetings and probably even hired a consultant to figure out ways to turn off the wireless. Imagine if that time or those resources had been used to work on bringing in new faculty or keeping old ones (cough cough Sunstein cough cough) I would imagine that I would feel a little better about my $40K going to pay their salaries then.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm angry that there doesn't seem to have been any formal consultation of students.  I talked with the LSA president last night, and Levmore never mentioned it to her.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3633 on: March 25, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

I'm angry that there doesn't seem to have been any formal consultation of students.  I talked with the LSA president last night, and Levmore never mentioned it to her.

I talked to someone this morning who said that Levmore mentioned it to a table of 1Ls at coffee mess in the middle of last quarter and the overwhelming response from the students was that it was a terrible idea.

I do predict that a lot more people will be missing 1L classes during the week before our brief is due. I didn't want to miss class last quarter so I went and researched for the memo during class soaking up tidbits of info here and there. I probably would have just skipped if I couldn't have done so.

I think the strategy that Strahi had implemented in your class seems reasonable. Let's have no wireless during class the first two weeks of the quarter and then let's vote on it and the majority wins. I just think the whole idea undercuts the professional attitude of the school in other areas and is a bad one. We'll see what people think next week.
U of C 2010

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3634 on: March 25, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Oh yeah, there will definitely be far more class skipping.  I skipped or showed up late to Lior's class a LOT because I had FedSoc or ASW-related e-mails to deal with and couldn't do it during class.

And that's to say nothing of bad profs.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3635 on: March 25, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
First the Internet, now USNWR.... something must be done.
U of C 2010

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 25, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
This blows.  I'm transferring.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3637 on: March 25, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »
First the Internet, now USNWR.... something must be done.

if i must be tied for 7th, at least let me play scrabulous.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3638 on: March 25, 2008, 11:26:38 PM »
I know the whole USNWR thing is silly and irrational, but it just seems like we need to do something to shock the system. When a school with a 163 low-end LSAT range beats us I'm a little disappointed.

It would make a lot more sense to set a target for employment and consider a school as having reached "full employment" above 95% or something (similar to the measures used to determine full employment IRL). Maybe we'll move back up next year when the construction is finally completed and our expenditures/student ratio goes up. Lame.
U of C 2010

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »
Heads up to anyone in Wood's Civ Pro class: according to the book list, we're using a different casebook this quarter than we did for Buss's quarter.  The new book is Friedenthal 9th ed, same as the other group. 

Used copies of our old book are selling for $6 on amazon, so don't expect to break even.
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!