Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Newark ASD vs. Seton Hall ASD  (Read 1975 times)

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers-Newark ASD vs. Seton Hall ASD
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
This was interesting to read, thanks.  Helps me trust my gut feeling a little more too.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »
Does anyone know if Rutgers will extend the deposit deadline?  It was yesterday and I'd like to send it in for now as a NYC back up.
USD 2010

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
Someone in my tour group said he'd asked and they said no. That said, you get $200 of the $300 back if you withdraw by July 1 if they really wont extend it.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 04:54:23 PM »
Someone in my tour group said he'd asked and they said no. That said, you get $200 of the $300 back if you withdraw by July 1 if they really wont extend it.

Well.. the problem is it was due yesterday...
USD 2010

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 05:02:05 PM »
Actually, I think if you mail it right away you should be fine.  I couldn't find my acceptance slip and asked the admissions lady about it at the ASD - Because I wouldn't be able to mail everything to arrive in time for April 1.  She told me not to worry about it - she said as long as it was postmarked close to April 1 they wouldn't be anal about it.  You could probably mail it today and be fine but I would definitley call and let them know and check.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »
Just got back to my side of the country after going to both ASDs. In general I agree with the impressions of Considering_law. I did a couple of things off the beaten path during the weekend that I thought I'd highlight in addition.

Rutgers made a point to put me in a tour group, after the panel discussion, with a former Seattleite as well as another U of Wash. grad who was out for the ASD as well. She was able to answer a great deal of our questions in a way that a NY/NJ local wouldn't have and I really appreciated the extra effort. Afterwards three of us potentials went out with a group of about 8 3Ls to Hoboken to have a few beers and talk about the school. This was a real benefit for me, I'd grown weary of only hearing from the ra-ra "insert school here" students. Most of the students who went out with us we not involved with the ASD, and I appreciated a more tempered opinion or two. That said, they all seemed very pleased with their decisions and 3 of them were off to biglaw firms after the Spring.

After the SHU ASD there was an evening in the city hosted by current SHU students for those who'd been offered merit scholarships. It was a group of about 65 potentials and current students in NYC with a full hosted bar and a nice dinner. We got to chat without other faculty around for about 5 hours. The event was a roaring success, everyone seemed to be having a great time and the nature of a very well funded, private, institution was in full effect...I don't want to imagine what the bill was, they paid for EVERYTHING...transit from Newark to NYC via the PATH, dinner, drinks, shuttle back to Newark or vicinity late that night after dinner. That said, my overall feeling of SHU wasn't really helped by the event. The student I talked with the most was absolutely wonderful, but I couldn't shake that rich-kid feeling I got when I was at the ASD earlier in the day...younger crowd than SHU in general, more parents at the ASD, just not my crowd (couple years out of school, engaged, blue-collar family). SHU put on quite the show, my fiance told me she wanted me to go there at the end of the event, but in my gut I just didn't think the place was for me. I still have enough reservations about SHU not to withdraw quite yet, and I put in my Rutgers deposit to buy myself the extra few days before SHU's deadline comes, but I think I'll be at Rutgers in the fall.

I had the same feeling about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall.  It's weird too because I just KNEW I was gonna go to Seton Hall and only went to Rutgers ASD on a whim.  I will say I saw the difference between public vs. private when it came to extras like food & entertainment but it still wasn't enough to sway me back to Seton Hall.