Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Marquette Visit  (Read 3793 times)

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Marquette Visit
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »
I went to Marquette's admitted students open house Saturday.  I had a really good time and made the following observations:

1) Most of the presentations were excellent.  I attended the presentations on Criminal law, sports law, career planning, and legal writing.  A number of professors left out a stack of business cards and encouraged us to contact them if we had any questions.

2) The building is really old.  The school has a real urban campus feel, and you can tell the surrounding neighborhood is not a very good one.  All of the classrooms I was in but one had outlets for laptops on the tables.  I forgot to ask about WiFi. 

3)  The career planning presenation was excellent.  The Assistant Dean of career planning spoke about different opportunities available.  Starting spring semester of 1L students are allowed to participate in internships with various law firms and other organizations.  The Dean said the last two years there have been more outside internships available during the school year than students able/willing to partcipate.  He said this was due to the many opportunities available in Milwaukee and the fact that during the school year there is no competition for these positions (besides other Marquette students).

4) The students I spoke to were pretty friendly.  All of them seemed to genuinely have positive feelings about the school.  All said the career services office was pretty helpful.  A 3L told me he still hadn't found employment, but also said he had visited the career planning office for the first time a month ago.

Overall it was a pretty positive experience.  I had a positive opinion of Marquette before the open house and the open house helped reinforce that opinion.
Marquette University Law School Class of 2010

Johnnboy

• View Profile
Re: Marquette Visit
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
Hey I am considering Marquette for next year. I was wondering if you knew more about employment opportunities in Milwaukee from there. Also, I was wondering where most law students choose to live. Thanks.

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »
If you want to work in Milwaukee Marquette will give you plenty of opportunities.  You have to compete with WI law students for summer positions, but you can take internships during the school year (that could lead to summer positions) that they can't.  Marquette's placement rates are good, and if you graduate from there you don't have to take the bar exam to practice law in WI (U. Wisconsin & Marquette are the only two schools in the country with this arrangement).  They said 76% of graduates take positions in Wisconsin when they graduate. 

Johnnboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
Are jobs limited for those who graduate near the middle of the class? Or can they still find meaningful employment? I like Milwaukee and Marquette a lot and I feel Marquette would give me the best opportunities in Milwaukee because it is the only school there. Also do you know anything about housing? Thanks again.

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »
I'm not sure what the job prospects are like if one finishes in the bottom half of the class.  They said the median starting salary is $62,000/yr.  Obviously that includes a decent # of public interest & government jobs.  I get the sense that job opportunites are still plentiful for those in the bottom half, but the starting pay for such positions isn't ideal.

There are plenty of apartments near campus, but it is definitely an urban neighborhood.  If you have a family you might want to consider commuting.  I know a few people who commuted from some of the surrounding suburbs that said the commute was worth it (I plan on commuting if I go there).

Johnnboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:27:15 PM »
Yeah thats what I'm thinking about doing. Do you know which suburbs do most students commute from? Do you think Marquette will move back into the top 100 this year?

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
There are a number of choice, but I'm focusing on Brookfield and Waukesha.

uweckyle

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
Besides being a good school they are right by Miller Park, home of the next world series team the Brewers!  About housing did you get the big packet about a month ago?  They sent out a ton of info about housing around the area.

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »
I did.  I'm leaning towards commuting from Waukesha or Brookfield.

uweckyle

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
So do you think you are set on Marquette?  I really hadn't given much thought about the school until I talked to one of my old professors and he got me thinking.  There are only two law schools in WI and if you graduate from one of the two you don't have to take the bar and Marquette has a great reputation in WI.  Being from WI there is also a certain comfort zone with the area.  I have a few friends who went to undergrad their and liked the school but really don't see themselves in Milwaukee for too much longer.  That is my issue.  I don't know if I want to stay in WI for the rest of my life but at least I know what I am getting with the city and school.  My other choices not so much.  I liked Seattle for the two days I was out there, but that was two days.  It's hard to judge a city in that short of a time.  I really need to figure out if it's somewhere I want to go because I would have to drive my seat deposit down there.  Well good luck with where ever you end up.
On a side note what did you think of the law students? Were they friendly or uptight?