Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NJ Law: Seton Hall v. Rutgers N  (Read 1375 times)

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
NJ Law: Seton Hall v. Rutgers N
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
I know this topic has been posted before, but I'd like some feedback on my situation.

I'm interested in civil rights, constitutional, and labor and employment law. I've been accepted to both schools, and am currently drawn to RU-N because of its cheaper tuition. I plan on visiting during the next two weeks, but I'm just hoping for some feedback about what the key differences are between these schools in terms of job prospects, academics, student life, etc.

Also, if anyone attends either school or knows someone who does, please give me a candid view of what you know.

Thanks!
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NJ Law: Seton Hall v. Rutgers N
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
Considering those types of specific concentrations, neither school offers any kind of increased opportunity or visibility over the other; really, the only exception is health law, which Seton Hall has a well-respected program in.

Otherwise: I too am looking between these two schools and deciding.  Essentially, they are a wash; I am choosing to attend Rutgers-N, however, due to SLIGHT advantages that I seem to have noticed; generally speaking, while Seton Hall has risen lately in the rankings, the historical position and perception of Rutgers-N prevails, thus making the reputation criteria as perceived by law firms in favor of Rutgers.  At both schools, the reality is that only the cream of the crop have opportunity in NYC.  Essentially, ~top 10-15% of Rutgers have NYC opportunity, with maybe only ~10%. (that includes top and 2nd tier BigLaw firms of $125k-$160k + bonus positions in NYC)

In regards to the top NJ firms, all of the firms equally recruit from SHU and RU really; but you're still looking at top third-top 25 cut-offs though for those places (think $80k-$110k).

And there's the rub; you have to keep in mind with these schools (particularly if one is taking on debt): not doing well at these schools presents a very precarious situation: being in the most competitive legal market of NY/NJ area, these schools are essentially bottom of the barrel right.  As learned from not only anecdotal evidence, but direct dialogue from SHU and RU students, if one thinks that getting a JD from either of these schools is sufficient to at least gain employment as a lawyer, you are DEAD wrong; if you are at the medians or below of these schools, it's about finding any employment period.  Most likely, you will be unemployed for anwhere between 6-12 months after graduation; and one of the main drawbacks here of SHU is because of that lack of history and reputation, alumni network relative to RU, almost HALF of SHU students are forced to do NJ clerkships, most of which are district court garbage paying you $40,000 and offering nothing beneficial to a career track: it is essentially a glorified internship right.  RU is slightly better with only a quarter of students doing them.  However, if you don't do AT WORST top 25-30% of class from either school, you will be stuck eithering doing "temp attorney" work or ID hell, and these isn't really being a "lawyer" honestly.

As far as culture student life: very simple distinction (which also sways me to Rutgers): RU is tons of minorities, over all ethnicities; lots of good minority programs, organizations, etc. (RU-Newark recognized as one of the most diverse campuses period, in the country).  Seton Hall is 85-90% white, more upper-class. 

Haha as you can see, I have exahausted my research, so I hope it all helps.  Best of luck!

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
Definitely, thanks for that!
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »
Definitely, thanks for that!

check out jdjive.com and temporaryattorney blog; people will reply back will, "troll this guy [referring to me] is full of crap," blah blah, but those boards show the reality of not doing well in law school.

EVERY school (more or less), offers the potential to do well professionally right, but the difference is, the top 150/200 students at Columbia are going to do extremely well...at a Rutgers or Seton hall, the top 20-30 out of 200 students will do well; that's just the truth.

Those boards convey the difficulty of working in NYC/NJ if you aren't one of those 20-30 students from the Seton Halls, Rutgers, etc.

lavender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
good points ice...leaning towards rutgers-n as well, although will be attending both ASDs. Another thing (based on convos with RU and SH students), in Rutgers, you get what you pay for, in terms of student and administrative support. SH is better with their services and facilities since it's a private school (and you pay an extra $10K for it). Rutgers is state, so expect it to be bureaucratic, slow, and def no hand holding.