Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

41. Smokers, higher heart disease, higher caffeine use, caffeine positively correlated with heart disease *FLAW*

Answer: Fails to consider that caffeine might decrease risk of heart disease
 30 (57.7%)
Incorrect
 22 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Debated LR 3/6: Smokers/Heart Disease  (Read 1586 times)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Debated LR 3/6: Smokers/Heart Disease
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
I think I put that caffeine may be the cause of smoking?

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: Debated LR 3/6: Smokers/Heart Disease
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:06:24 AM »
I think I put that caffeine may be the cause of smoking?

it doesn't rule out the correlation, though.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:06:40 AM »
I guess i'm the first one in these threads you made... I remember being torn between a choice that you picked, that both smoking and drinking caffeine is caused by something else, and the answer choice that said that smokers who drink caffeine are less likely to get a heart problem then smokers who do not drink caffeine. I went with the latter, and thus once again with the majority. The reason for this is that the stimulus said that "this does not show that caffeine causes heart problems" but that "caffeine is positively corrrelated to heart problems". So i think the cause answer was wrong, because it does not rule out this conclusion.

LBChic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
I got this wrong. I chose "similar behavior could cause both smoking and ceffeine consumption"  I can't defend this answer for the life of me. :P

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
A logical answer would involve "fails to consider that the tendency to drink caffeine and higher risk of heart disease could be caused by a common factor". This would still be incorrect, though. The author did in fact consider that possibility, since smoking is the common factor. It's the basis of the argument, actually.
NYU 2010

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
A logical answer would involve "fails to consider that the tendency to drink caffeine and higher risk of heart disease could be caused by a common factor". This would still be incorrect, though. The author did in fact consider that possibility, since smoking is the common factor. It's the basis of the argument, actually.

yeah, there is nothing about causation in the argument, just the correlation, and even if they were caused by something else, it would not really rule out the correlation.

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »
I got this wrong. I chose "similar behavior could cause both smoking and ceffeine consumption"  I can't defend this answer for the life of me. :P

I picked this one too... :(
Going to W&L!

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:34:20 AM »
Premises:
Smokers are more inclined to drink caffeine.
Smokers have a higher risk of heart disease.

Conclusion:
There is a positive correlation between drinking caffeine and risk of heart disease.

Question:
Flaw?

What if drinking caffeine actually reduces risk of heart disease, and it's something in smoking itself that causes a higher risk of heart disease, outweighing the positive effects of caffeine on heart disease? Doesn't that defeat the argument?
NYU 2010

wovst

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:34:26 PM »
was there an answer choice along the lines of, 'smokers who drink caffeine are not necessarily the smokers with heart disease'?

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 11:39:42 PM »
wovst,

Yours is the answer I was looking for, but it wasn't there. I remember not being at all happy with any of the answers. I don't even remember which way I went. I think I went with like cause beause it is a common LSAT answer in cases like this, but upon re-examination, this would simple strengthen the coorelation. It would , in fact, make concrete the coorelation.