Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dizzy from the mailbox. Help!  (Read 2856 times)

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
Re: Dizzy from the mailbox. Help!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »
Hi guys,

Driving in the winter isn't as bad as one would expect. Many of the Detroit suburbs are located close to major highways, and the highways are virtually always clear. This winter I didn't have any problems at all with icy roads. Just make sure you keep a scraper in your car (for your windows) and buy a heavy coat. California and Michigan are like night and day as far as whether is concerned. Be prepared to be cold for at least 1/3 of the year!

Grosse Point is a very affluent area that borders the city of Detroit. It's strange; you cross an invisible line from dirty streets, rundown buildings and lots of liquor stores to manicured lawns, well posted road signs and huge houses. The Dean of the law school lives there and throws a get together at his house for first years before classes start. I imagine it is expensive to live there, but it is close to the school. Personally, I think you're better of living in a suburb further north. 

I imagine it would be very hard to work your first year if you are full-time or part-time day. Part-time day students time one less class (property) so "part-time" is deceiving. I don't think that it is impossible. I know of at least one full-time student who worked part of first semester and one part-time student who worked full time her first year. Personally, I couldn't do it, not even a few hours. I recommend that you take classes for a couple of weeks and get accuntomed to the work load. All three of the first year sections have classes on fridays. I know that past years have had fridays off, but I don't know what the plans are for the future.

Personally, I get my work for mondays done on the weekends and that's about it. Some people like to get ahead on the weekends and take the week days a bit slower. Like I mentioned before, the first semester I went crazy and worked a lot. My life was studying. This semester I have slowed down a lot. I go to the bar one night a week and spend a lot more time with my girlfriend. There are a lot of little tricks you pick up after attending classes for a while. Virtually everyone uses multiple supplements (case briefs, horn books, etc.).

Hey, just for a little UDM motivation (I know you need it!), one of my 3rd year buddies just got a job offer from Dykema Gossett. First year associates start off from $95,000-$115,000. Yikes.

EMSR

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »
my gf is a current 1l at udm and I will be starting at wayne in the fall...

I might be able to answer some questions for you guys that haven't been answered already

Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
This is going to be a crunch in more ways than one, from the sound of things.  I was counting on at least a p/t job.  I guess I should consider not working first semester at all and making up for it in the spring once I've figured out a thing or two.

Your advice is, again, very helpful EMSR.  I'll have to track you down on your bar night so I can buy you a drink.

No questions from me tonight.  Thanks again............Bruno

jjason2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:14 PM »
my gf is a current 1l at udm and I will be starting at wayne in the fall...

I might be able to answer some questions for you guys that haven't been answered already

Hey. Thanks for the offer. So I'm asking around about living situations. Are there any decent places to live that are relatively affordable near UDM and Wayne? What suburbs (if any) do you suggest. Thanks again.

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 08:53:38 AM »
I am considering UDM this fall, so i just wanted to join this thread, it has been really helpful so far.  Thanks alot guys!

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »
I was accepted into UDM's JD/LLB program with Windsor so I'm also curious about the rep of Mercy itself considering that is where 55% of my classes will take place. To the IL at UDM: Have you met any students in the joint jd/llb and if so what do they have to say about it? I know most of them are Canadian but have you met any American students? Thanks.

Troy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 11:43:32 AM »
EMSR,
While you're answering the JD/LLB questions, how is the public transportation in Detroit? Is a car a necessity?
Thanks.
Going to Detroit Mercy (JD/LLB)
Waitlisted at U-Oregon (1st choice)

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I hope you all are still around. The JD/LLB program seems to draw quite a crowd. The only time I really saw them this year was during the required moot court competition. Many of them made it into the semi-final rounds. The ones I talk to seem to enjoy it, but I haven't spoken to any in any kind of depth. I am assuming there are not many Americans who do the JD/LLB program. I do not know any personally. You should contact Dean Caprio at the school. Her email is on the site.

Public transportation is virtually nil. You will need a car unless you are planning on living downtown and walking to school or taking the people mover (kind of a cross between a subway, a train and a homeless shelter)...haha

Joey23

• View Profile
    • Email
Waitlist
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »
I have been waitlisted for the JD/LLB program at Windosr University.  How many people are waitlisted?  Is there still a chance?