Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sitting out a year to try to get into a T14  (Read 11208 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting out a year to try to get into a T14
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 07:19:43 PM »
I would go to UT and be happy about it.  It is a well respected school that probably has the hottest girls of any campus in the top 20, maybe even the entire country with the possible exception of Arizona State.  That may not matter to you, but it would be a factor in my decision.  That said, I do hate UT... and OU and Colorado (I went to KSU for UG).  If you do well and don't like it, you can always transfer.

In terms of rankings, somewhere on Leiter's website he states that UT and Cal maybe somewhat underrated by USNWR due to a bias against public schools (paraphrase).  I don't know if that is true or not (and I do believe Leiter teaches at UT), but it is something to consider.  In response to a previous post about UT breaking the top 14, I don't think it really matters.  There is not a magical line that when broken, employers will look much more favorably on that particular law school.  I think the top 14 was "coined" because of some kind of break, however slight, that employers, professors, etc. see between Georgetown, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, ect. and UT, UCLA, etc.  If UT passes some schools ahead of it, will more recruiters visit UT over GT?  Will UT grads see an increase in national job opportunities, clerkships, etc.?  Probably not, at least not immediately, but I doubt there is much difference in opportunity between the two schools anyway.  The main disadvantage UT probably has in terms of national placement is its location.

I wouldn't take anything leiter says about law school rankings very seriously. He's plainly not objective but pretends he is...for instance he rails against the "T14" as an arbitrary concept with no grounding in reality, yet when he talks about the top law schools he talks about "the top 14" with Texas replacing Duke. He thinks Texas is underrated but he thinks Michigan is overrated, for instance.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

sleepy

• I'd be riding horses if they'd let me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 07:24:41 AM »
I wouldn't take anything leiter says about law school rankings very seriously. He's plainly not objective but pretends he is...for instance he rails against the "T14" as an arbitrary concept with no grounding in reality, yet when he talks about the top law schools he talks about "the top 14" with Texas replacing Duke. He thinks Texas is underrated but he thinks Michigan is overrated, for instance.

I'll have to read this Leiter letter and get back to you.

Thanks for the input folks.
High: Texas, WUSTL, UIUC, Minnesota, Wisconsin, George Mason, Colorado, Cardozo, Mizzou, SLU.
Low:  Yale, Chicago, Boalt
In-Between: Vandy

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 08:25:35 AM »
I definitely agree with previous posters that you should go to Texas. The rankings will lose their importance pretty quickly once you actually start getting an education, which will be top-notch at Texas, given their faculty.

If you hate it, or decide that rankings really matter to you, the transfer option is there. Your stats would give you a decent chance at a good transfer if you are doing well at UT. You probably won't want to, though.

The only good reason to take a year or two off is if you WANT to take some time before law school or if you have a good idea of what you will be doing.

Columbia 2L.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 10:37:39 AM »
If I had those numbers I would most probably reapply and try to get into a T14. depending on how long ago your felony was and what it was it may not matter too much. The 3 T14 you applied to would have been longshots, as they are all pretty random with their admittances. That said I would be happy at Texas but would always wonder would I have gotten into a t14 if I had just applied, and though Texas is an excellent school it is not quite there in terms of prestige.
 However, it really depends on you.

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 12:36:10 PM »
If I had those numbers I would most probably reapply and try to get into a T14. depending on how long ago your felony was and what it was it may not matter too much. The 3 T14 you applied to would have been longshots, as they are all pretty random with their admittances. That said I would be happy at Texas but would always wonder would I have gotten into a t14 if I had just applied, and though Texas is an excellent school it is not quite there in terms of prestige.
 However, it really depends on you.

I agree with you...Texas is just a regional school in a strong region, hold out until next year.

sleepy

• I'd be riding horses if they'd let me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 06:35:45 PM »
depending on how long ago your felony was and what it was it may not matter too much.

Thanks, but I don't have a felony.
High: Texas, WUSTL, UIUC, Minnesota, Wisconsin, George Mason, Colorado, Cardozo, Mizzou, SLU.
Low:  Yale, Chicago, Boalt
In-Between: Vandy

wwilliam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
Hi,
I am student in Taxes and love institutes with on online study programs. Like different institutes are offering different online courses in order to facilitate students who dont have time and access for regular classes.
Online institutes must have 70-526 and
000-078 certified professionals.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 06:49:50 PM »
Unless your heart is set on practicing elsewhere, UT is the golden ticket in Texas and you can pretty much bank on making $160k straight out of the gate. (Ok, so maybe not if you graduate at the bottom of your class-- then it's a mere 120k). I don't recommend that anyone sit out a year. That's why I'm pushing forward with my Sub-160 LSAT and hoping for the best. You don't know what your life will be like next year. Stuff happens... car wrecks, deaths in the family, pregnancy, illness... Anything unexpected like that and your life is on another path and you'll always be kicking yourself for passing when you had the chance.   

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »
I'm so curious about this etc!

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
wait so i read through pretty quickly and i don't want to re-read...did the OP apply to all of the T14? I only saw 3 on his list.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011