Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?  (Read 7740 times)

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?
« on: March 18, 2006, 05:16:19 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to know what everyone thought about Affirmative Action. I am a poor African American from New York. I was in class the other day and me and one of my contemporaries got into a debate about Affirmative Action. She stated that she was not firmly opposed to affirmative action, but she felt that it should be revised. One idea that she threw out was making it economic based instead of race based. When I heard this idea I automatically agreed with her. Arguably, I have more in common with a poor White American than I do with a wealthy or middle class Black American. A poor White american has more struggles than a middle clas or wealthy Black American, therefore it is harder for them to obtain the stats needed to be admitted into law school. With that in mind, I just wanted to find out if everyone thinks that this is a great idea. Affirmative Action mostly benefits middle class and wealthy URM's. If it was economic based, perhaps it would be more accepted among mainstream Americans. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of Affirmative Action, I just think that this is a logical proposal.

M DOT

Re: Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
this goes in the AA thread, i doubt youll get a response from anyone that posts here often enough to know that a thread like this will only go sour, just an fyi zach

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »
this goes in the AA thread, i doubt youll get a response from anyone that posts here often enough to know that a thread like this will only go sour, just an fyi zach

Thanks Lex,I already know what the White Americans are going to say. I just wanted to know how my fellow brothers and sisters feel about this proposal.

akattorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My numbers!!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »
Well, the idea that AA benefits wealthy URMs the most is false and not an empirically based argument.  When anyone is evaluating AA, one should ask themselves, does racism still exist to the degree that if we eliminate race as a factor and judge strictly on an economic criterion that all races will be represented in jobs, schools, etc. The fact that most AA arguments are racially based and do not include that fact that the main beneficiaries are white women (yes even in college admissions!) illuminates the fact that racial assumptions skew people's perceptions of facts.

Do poor whites have an advantage over poor blacks......middle class whites over middle class blacks?  Look at empirical studies of job placements, income, etc.  Instead of judging off of anecdotes, make an empirically based argument.

M DOT

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »
and the white anti AA posters will post here as well

scratch that im dead wrong for raining on your thread zach

Thanks Lex,I already know what the White Americans are going to say. I just wanted to know how my fellow brothers and sisters feel about this proposal.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:12:48 PM »
Nice avatar zacharyl20. That ass shot should be enough reason why there should be AA.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:41:32 PM »
Well, the idea that AA benefits wealthy URMs the most is false and not an empirically based argument.  When anyone is evaluating AA, one should ask themselves, does racism still exist to the degree that if we eliminate race as a factor and judge strictly on an economic criterion that all races will be represented in jobs, schools, etc. The fact that most AA arguments are racially based and do not include that fact that the main beneficiaries are white women (yes even in college admissions!) illuminates the fact that racial assumptions skew people's perceptions of facts.

Do poor whites have an advantage over poor blacks......middle class whites over middle class blacks?  Look at empirical studies of job placements, income, etc.  Instead of judging off of anecdotes, make an empirically based argument.

Akaattorney, I understand that my previous post was an extreme assertion. You are right my argument was non-empirically based. However, I disagree with your comment regarding racism. Yes, racism is still alive and well in America, that is not even worth debating. However, I feel that economic discrimination is becoming more popular in mainstream America. For example, if your parents are doctors, lawyers, or corporate executives they probably know people in high places. That opens up an huge quantity of doors for you, versus, a poor White trailer park person whose dad is a garbage man and mom is a cafeteria worker. Why should a wealthy or middle clas black be given an advantage over this person? Why should I be put in the same boat as a wealthy or middle class black. I had to live in a homeless shelter, was raised by a single parent, worked long hours throughout college, supported my family. Why should my numbers be compared to someother black kid who runs to mommy and daddy for money because they need to get a new car. I just think that race-based affirmative action is extremely unfair and should be revised. Yes Whites still have an advantage over blacks, however, that advantage is slowly declining and is becoming more economic based. 

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:46:28 PM »
Nice avatar zacharyl20. That ass shot should be enough reason why there should be AA.

lol, Victor. I am not against AA. I am against race-based AA. Believe it or not, if AA became economic based, you would probably see more girls like her. You won't see a black stuck up girl who's mom is a doctor and daddy is a high powered lawyer. By the way you could easily find a girl like that on the street, lol.

redemption

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »
How hard is it to think this through for yourself?

For example: Why does it have to be a choice between AA by race and AA by income? Why can't it be both?

It's not that complicated is it?

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 12:22:36 AM »
How hard is it to think this through for yourself?

For example: Why does it have to be a choice between AA by race and AA by income? Why can't it be both?

It's not that complicated is it?

Hmmmm, that is a great idea Red. I must admit you made me feel intellectually inferior. Now, we must write our elected officials and get this revised immediately, lol. Seriously Red, that is an excellent proposal. Unfortunately, it does not look like it is going to become reality anytime soon.