Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to tell employer of our law school decision?  (Read 3127 times)

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: When to tell employer of our law school decision?
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 01:24:37 PM »
I was honest from the get-go, but then I have an environmental studies degree and am working at a financial institution.  The knew when I was hired that law school was in my future. Granted three years ago I didn't know where in my future, so it was open.  Everyone I work with knows and are really supportive of my decision.  The day after I got into my first choice school I gave my notice, July 21st, about 5 months in advance.  I will be leaving during the busiest time of year for loans, and I feel bad about it. I felt, though, with that much notice they can choose to hire someone ahead of time so they are fully trained or they can throw someone in at the lest minute.  Their choice, not mine. As for being fired, I luckily work somewhere that "coaches" and
"trains" before probation and eventual firing.  If you're gonna be fired you know its coming well in advance. 

I would love to leave earlier, but my lease on my apartment isn't up until end of June and I might as well stay one more month for some more moola before moving.
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
This is a good thread since this question has also been on my mind. I plan on taking a month off before law school to travel/leisure time before jumping into a rigourous 3 years of studying.

I'm doing the same. Sort of a month-long going-away party for myself. I gave my notice in Feb. that I would be leaving in mid-to-late July. No exact date, but they know I'm leaving. I work for a fairly small company of newspapers. The upper management at my company sucks, but the people I deal with day-to-day are cool. I know that if I gave them the standard two weeks, management would drag their feet on replacing me and it would be my co-worker friends I deal with every day that would bear the brunt of the responsiblity replacing me. So I just told the Editor-in-Chief that I'll be gone in July, and will give a more exact date in June once I decide which school I'm going to.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
I work for a VERY small company, and they rely on me for a great deal.  They already have formal notice that I'll be leaving end-July.  They've also provided me with an open-ended agreement to contract for them during breaks / weekends for xtra dough if time permits.

I think one's decision to provide notice early or late relates to company size and length / nature of relationship.  I've been here over five yrs and have a personal relationship with members of the exec staff.

lww02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 11:53:42 PM »
I was so excited about quitting because of how much my job has f'cked me in the past year, but today i got a really ideal promotion and better-than-expected raise, and a speech about how much they count on me. its not good enough to keep me out of law school, but now i feel really bad...
LSN lww02

jashdey

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 12:26:23 AM »
Yeah, I had a really good review and raise in January, and my boss was talking all this stuff for possible career development for me, and I felt very, very awkward.

I'm glad this thread popped up again, because I decided this morning to let my boss know I was going to school and would be leaving by the summer.  He was very cool about it and thanked me for letting him know so far in advance. 

For my company and my situation, I'm really glad I said something now.

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 09:45:19 AM »
I wasn't going to tell anyone until about July....that is until I got an unsolicited call from a Prof. to a school I was considering.  The office "squeal" took the message and of course when I come in you could hear "HEY, PROF. SO AND SO CALLED FROM UN-NAMED LAW SCHOOL FOR YOU!!!!!"  Oh well....

I do feel bad about leaving my job, I got a sizeable raise in December, but I had already decided to leave.  If I didn't want LS I would probably still be getting the same amount. Damn that Murphy's Law.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »
I am gotta tell my boss that I will quit to run my family business.  He knows my family owns a business and I am involved in it.  I plan to do this 2 weeks before I actually quit.   ;D

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2006, 10:06:03 AM »
Well.....my name is on a team that will be taking on a 5-9 months long project out of state and I'm suppose to lead the team...so I will probably be telling them once I'm officially informed about the project....sucks though cos I wanted it to be a shocker for my boss, was planning on giving them just the required 2 weeks for all the abuses I have endured here.
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 10:20:25 AM »
what happens if you quit a company and give them 1 day instead of 2 weeks

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 10:22:41 AM »
i told them monday and even had the gall to inquire about working part time.  they didn't fire me on the spot, so i'm happy.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell