Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: study abroad?  (Read 1154 times)

passantes

• View Profile
study abroad?
« on: January 07, 2004, 05:41:15 PM »
I'm starting to think about applying for fall 2005 admission, making an LSAT study plan, etc. I'm just curious -- do law students ever do a semester or summer study abroad as part of their program? One of my biggest regrets from undergrad is not going abroad, and it's probably not common to do it in law school but I'm curious all the same.

MNLawStudent

• View Profile
Re: study abroad?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 06:15:25 PM »
I studied abroad for the summer after my 1L year, and it was great!  I have a lot of friends who also did a summer abroad for 1L summer.  Its the perfect way to pick up some credits to have a lighter courseload for 2L/3L years.  This may depend on the school, but at my school, we could go through summer abroad programs from any ABA accredited law school, which means that I wasn't limited to what my school was offering. 

I defenitely recommend it - it was the best thing I did!

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: study abroad?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 12:09:50 PM »
I'm studying abroad right now in the Netherlands.  It's not as common as in undergrad but you can definitly do it.  I chose a school that had several study abroad programs (BU), but even if your law school doesn't offer anything, you can probably work it out with them to go abroad through a program offered at another school.

You can also do an LLM degree in a foreign country after law school.  I think those usually take a year.

I know someone that interned abroad during their first summer of law school too.  I don't know much about that other than the fact that it's possible.

If you're interested in reading more about my study abroad experience in the Netherlands - I'm writing about it over at http://andrewsinclair.org.  I just got here a few days ago so I haven't started class yet, but more reports are coming soon.