Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How conservative is Vanderbilt?  (Read 2604 times)

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How conservative is Vanderbilt?
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
I got into Vandy today and wanted to get some general opinions on the topic... and I'm curious about the whole picture, from the students to the professors to the teaching philosophy. 

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
Re: How conservative is Vanderbilt?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
I am wondering the same thing.

I don't know a lot about Vandy Law... however, I did go to Belmont undergrad (another school in Nashville) and spent a good amount of time on Vandy's campus... at ACLU & gay student meetings, mostly.

I can say that Nashville is very conservative overall (mostly Republican and traditional Christian- and many think youare weird if you are not these things), but there is a sprinkling of liberalism due to the atmosphere of music and musicians...

Vanderbilt seemed friendly to both conservs and libs... but i don't know whjat your specific concerns are or anything about the teaching style- what I would suggest is to sit in on a class if you can make the trip- they let me and I had not even applied yet.

I did visit the law school and they couldn't have been nicer.  I did apply and with the same personal statement that the other schools (UCLA, Berkeley, Columbia and the like) got, which addressed a very liberal political issue... so we'll see...
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:35:57 PM »
I emailed to inquire as to the conservative nature of the school. Ryan Willard, Coordinator of Admissions, replied,

"As a former student here at Vanderbilt and a current employee of the school, I would say that the atmosphere is balanced.  To break it down a bit; institutions of higher education typically have a leftward bent in the political spectrum.  Vanderbilt, because itís in the south and a reputation for affluence, tends to get the conservative label.  Perhaps in the continuum of political views, it is a little right of its counterparts, but I suspect that it places the school in a more centered position.  The students who are here find it to be a place that allows for open debate.  In other words, students donít feel oppressed or shunned because they lean right or left.  I hope this is helpful.  Do you have any other questions?  I am happy to answer as candidly as possible."

Hope that helps!
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

what?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:13:40 AM »
I grew up in Memphis and went to school in Knoxville - Mr. Willard is being honest.  Nashville has a pretty decent balance b/t conservative and liberal, and so does Vandy.  It is more liberal than southern state schools places like UGA, South Carolina, and UT, but you certainly won't think you are in Berkeley either.
166/3.8