Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergraduate Degree  (Read 1184 times)

Jennifer C

• You want me to do WHAT?...for how much?...... Sure
    • MSN Messenger - coleman725@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Stygian+Lure
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stay_put_darling
    • View Profile
    • Email
Undergraduate Degree
« on: November 19, 2003, 02:53:17 PM »
Currently I am in my second year of college at a third-tier school in Ohio (first year as a traditional student, I was technically in high school last year but was going to the University of Akron full-time instead). I'm currently working through a program called the PPE which is pretty much a triple major: Political Science, Philosophy, and Economics. Believe me, itís not as hard as it sounds.

Right now, I am thinking about getting my masters in Economics before going to law school.  How do law schools look at the advanced degree? I figure they probably wonít frown on it, as long as I do well (which shouldnít be a problem).

Also, I didnít see a real necessity in taking the LSAT practice courses that are available. I figure Iíll probably go through a couple of the sample tests, but I wouldnít take the practice courses. Iíve always done extremely well on standardized tests (1530 on SAT, 35 on the ACT), but Iíve been told that the LSAT isnít at all similar to the SAT or the ACT. Is that true? Should I take one of the practice courses or will the sample tests be fine?

As for law schools, I have an aunt who is regularly on the admissions committee for the Case Western Reserveís law school, but her last name is different from mine. I do understand the Ďinterestingí situation in which that could put me, but I was planning to use Case as my safety school. Bad idea? Good idea? Donít-even-consider-it idea?

Thanks!
Don't like what I had to say. Email me: Coleman725@hotmail.com

superiorlobe

Re: Undergraduate Degree
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 07:40:14 PM »
Law schools don't care one way or the other about advanced degrees unless it is a doctorate or was earned through a Rhodes Scholarship.  As for the LSAT, take a couple PrepTests and see how you do.  I think you will find it tougher than the SAT.  If you aren't consistenly hitting 165+ and you want to go to a top school, then take a course.

Currently I am in my second year of college at a third-tier school in Ohio (first year as a traditional student, I was technically in high school last year but was going to the University of Akron full-time instead). I'm currently working through a program called the PPE which is pretty much a triple major: Political Science, Philosophy, and Economics. Believe me, itís not as hard as it sounds.

Right now, I am thinking about getting my masters in Economics before going to law school.  How do law schools look at the advanced degree? I figure they probably wonít frown on it, as long as I do well (which shouldnít be a problem).

Also, I didnít see a real necessity in taking the LSAT practice courses that are available. I figure Iíll probably go through a couple of the sample tests, but I wouldnít take the practice courses. Iíve always done extremely well on standardized tests (1530 on SAT, 35 on the ACT), but Iíve been told that the LSAT isnít at all similar to the SAT or the ACT. Is that true? Should I take one of the practice courses or will the sample tests be fine?

As for law schools, I have an aunt who is regularly on the admissions committee for the Case Western Reserveís law school, but her last name is different from mine. I do understand the Ďinterestingí situation in which that could put me, but I was planning to use Case as my safety school. Bad idea? Good idea? Donít-even-consider-it idea?

Thanks!

rwhitman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 07:48:50 PM »

I found that the lsat had a lot in common with the sats. Obviously it doesn't have the math section, but the reading comp section is on both tests. however, as lobe said, the lsat IS harder than the sat's and since it appears that people go crazy prepping for it, you'll probably find it to be a good idea to study more than you did for the sat's.

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 07:55:22 PM »
I disagree with superiorlobe on the master's. While it certainly isn't anywhere near as important as your undergrad record, it can't do anything but help. Especially in a field like Economics, which is very applicable to law school in general. I am getting an MA in Econ before law school, mostly just because I can finish my BS and MA in 4 years, so it isn't costing me any time. I definitely think it can only help though, especially at schools where you're borderline for acceptance.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor