Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *** *** *** New Rule for Changing Your LSAT Test Date *** *** ***  (Read 5323 times)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
From LSAT tutor Nick Eddy of Mentor Test Prep:

To all students:

The LSAC has quietly slipped an important (and unfortunate) change into their regulations regarding the deadline to change the test date once you have registered for the exam.

The deadline to change the June 8th exam test date (in other words, postpone) to September is now May 17th (online); May 15th (mail/phone/fax):

http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/test-dates-us-june.asp

Previously, it was possible to change the test date of your exam until midnight of the first workday after the exam, so long as you did not show up at the test site.  This action was invisible to law schools, and so you could wake up the morning of the exam, decide you were not up to it, and simply push the date back, at the cost of about $33.

But it didn't show up on any record, and did not count toward the limit of 3 LSATs taken per 2 year period.

This change means that once the May 17th deadline expires, you are committed to either:

* take the exam
    * cancel the exam - within six calendar days of the exam (unsightly but not fatal)
    * pull a no-show (very bad form)

Each of these actions will show up on all future score reports, and each will count towards the 3 exams-per-2-years limit.

Therefore you must now make a very serious appraisal of your form and likelihood of improvement, roughly 3 weeks before your test date.  To add insult to injury, the fee for changing the test date has been increased to $66:

http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/lsat-and-lsdas-fees.asp

This is not going to reduce anyone's stress levels, but it is obviously very consequential, so keep it in mind.

Original article here.

idk22222

• View Profile
Re: *** *** *** New Rule for Changing Your LSAT Test Date *** *** ***
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the head up!

danmcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:12:06 PM »
Hopin someone can help me out with an answer or some advice -

I'm signed up for the June LSAT and had no idea LSAC changed its cancellation policies...I also did not know that "no shows" would be seen by law schools, or that they would count towards the 3 attempts per 2 years policy. Basically I have a no show from June 2008, a canceled score from Feb 2009, and I am not where I'd like to be for the June test. It's obviously too late to postpone at this point, so I'm wondering if this is my last shot? If I pull a no show or cancel again, does that mean my 3 attempts are up? And would having 2 cancellations/no shows really affect my chances badly?

manyquestionz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »
Unfortunately, it sounds like your 3 attemps will be up if you cancel/no show again.   :'(

anonymousprelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »
Hi -- I have a related question.  Is it possible to cancel without showing up and sitting through the test?

A friend of mine is registered for the June LSAT and doesn't want to take it.  At this point, she isn't looking to get her money back (because it's too late) and isn't trying to reschedule.  She just wants her record to say that she cancelled rather than didn't show.  Does she really have to sit through the test if she knows now that she wants to cancel?

Thanks in advance for any information!

danmcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »
Hi -- I have a related question.  Is it possible to cancel without showing up and sitting through the test?

A friend of mine is registered for the June LSAT and doesn't want to take it.  At this point, she isn't looking to get her money back (because it's too late) and isn't trying to reschedule.  She just wants her record to say that she cancelled rather than didn't show.  Does she really have to sit through the test if she knows now that she wants to cancel?

Thanks in advance for any information!

I don't think so...you have to go through the test before you cancel. You can cancel on the spot, as soon as you finish the test - I think there's a box you can tick before handing in your answer sheet/test booklet. If not, I believe you have up to a week afterwards to cancel.

anonymousprelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
Wow, that's a stupid policy.  Thanks for the advice though.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
nothing wrong with not showing up, especially under new rule.  no one care.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »
nothing wrong with not showing up, especially under new rule.  no one care.

As usual, Julie Fern is correct.

Before this deadline change, not showing up without bothering to postpone looked like you were just kind of flaky and irresponsible - not good qualities in a future attorney.

Now that this has changed, it may be better to not show than to cancel, purely on the grounds that if you cancel, you are viewed as having been 'exposed' to the exam (and therefore subsequent scores are presumed less representative of your 'true' capability).

quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 08:20:21 AM »
you fine american.