Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kent PT or other Chicago schools Full Time  (Read 3371 times)

hman13

• View Profile
Kent PT or other Chicago schools Full Time
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
I havent heard back from any schools yet.  But out of these options, which would you choose to live and eventually practice in Chicago

a) Kent Part Time
b) DePaul
c) Loyola
d) John Marshall (maybe $)

I have 157, 3.24, so i cant go to NW or U of Chi.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kent PT or other Chicago schools Full Time
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
Why do you have Kent as PT if you have not heard back yet.  Of the choices I would pick Loyola

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
Why do you have Kent as PT if you have not heard back yet.  Of the choices I would pick Loyola

Why Loyola?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
Even as a PT option, Kent is widely considered much better than those other schools. And it's not even a knock on the others; it's just that Kent is close to UIUC in terms of prestige...not quite there, but well-respected. And it is ranked much higher than its USNWR ranking in almost every other poll (about top-30!)

It shouldn't even be a hard choice. Take Kent PT. You can transfer to FT after a year, if that's the way you want to go. Plus, more and more students are going BigLaw from Kent if that's your goal. More top Chicago firms employ kent grads than those from any other school, including U-Chicago or NU. This is not to say Kent is better than NU or Chicago, because those grads tend to leave Illinois at a higher rate. But with so many Kent grads at the firms, the networks will be there. It's a great education: tops in IP and writing.

And if you want to upgrade after you finish your 27 credits, Kent is known as a rigorous school, so you can get to NU, U-Chicago, Notre Dame or most any other school if you want to. Make the top-5% and you can transfer to your dream school.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
I havent heard back from any schools yet.  But out of these options, which would you choose to live and eventually practice in Chicago

a) Kent Part Time
b) DePaul
c) Loyola
d) John Marshall (maybe $)

I have 157, 3.24, so i cant go to NW or U of Chi.

Just so you know, those schools take a few (JUST A FEW) students with your GPA every year, and they are not always URM's either. With NU, it depends on your work history. And if you had a really strong work history plus a score of, say 164+, you could do it.

With U-Chicago, a really hard major (like psychology, economics or Biology)  would help you...but you would have to get that score up nine or 10 points. Ditto on the major for NULaw...if its a tough one, they will cut you some slack. 

hman13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
thanks guys.  ive already applied everywhere and taken my lsats, so it looks like ims tuck with a 157.  I am interested in possibly transferring.

The first poster is correct, I have applied to both full and part time at Kent, and am just assuming that if I were to get in, it wouldbe PT. 

After reading the posts, I am excited to hear from them, and hope I get in.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
Loyola has a good health law program if you are interested in that route.  Then I don't know where the information was pulled but Kent is ranked 66 and Loyola is 82 for USNWR ranking and whether or not it is the best way, that is how biglaw looks at schools.  For me it would be a tough decision because I am from the Chicago suburbs and wish I could get into those schools, I also have an uncle that got his law degree from Kent.  I would probably pick Loyola but would consider Kent PT.  I wouldn't go to John Marshall if you got into one of the other three.

hman13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
yeah im from the suburbs too and have my fingers crossed.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
Loyola has a good health law program if you are interested in that route.  Then I don't know where the information was pulled but Kent is ranked 66 and Loyola is 82 for USNWR ranking and whether or not it is the best way, that is how biglaw looks at schools.  For me it would be a tough decision because I am from the Chicago suburbs and wish I could get into those schools, I also have an uncle that got his law degree from Kent.  I would probably pick Loyola but would consider Kent PT.  I wouldn't go to John Marshall if you got into one of the other three.

would you mind commenting on quiet and safe places to look for apartments in Chicago, something close to the blue, red, green, orange lines so that commuting on cta is only like 20 min to Loyola or DePaul campuses in the loop?

hman13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
Lemme do two things here.  First, answer the question above, and then ask another question myself.

DePaul is in Lincoln Park...the best place to live is Lincoln Park.  I dont know how familiar you are with Chicago.  Lincoln Park is on the north side.  DePaul is on the north side, Kent is in the West Loop by the Sears Tower and train stations, NW is in the loop, U-Chicago is on the south side, and Loyola is on Michigan Avenue, where the water tower is and all the expensive shops.

Theyre all about 20 mins from each other...that is, if you live in lincoln park, youd be 2 mins from depaul, but 20 mins fromeverything else.  Ditto if you lived in the loop...you could commute by bike to NW or maybe Kent, but would be 20 mins to DePaul and Loyola.  Therefore you need to narrow down where you want to to gofirst id say.  I believe the orange line runs right by the Sears Tower, giving access to Kent.  I cant think of what runs right above DePaul.  There is crime everywhere in the city.  Theres noise everywhere in the city.  Cant really say a quiet and safe place.

For my question...let me play devils advocate.  I heard that both a) Kent grads go to big firms in Chi, and b) that its cause its ranked higher than DePaul and Loyola.  How do you factor this into regional schools that are ranked higher?  E.G.  Tennessee.  Theyre ranked 50, and I imagine they just feed into Nashville and maybe Cincinatti. But at the same time, it is ranked higher than Kent.  How do you determine this?   How are you "hired" out of law school?  Is it mostly recruiters coming to your school, cause if thats the case i can see why a school like Tenn doesnt equal big jobs in NY, Chi, or LA.  I can see why going to somehwere like Kent or Houston is good though.  So, just wondering about that.

Thanks guys.