Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HERE IS WHAT THE 35K DOLLAR JOB MOST OF YOU WILL BE DOOMED TO IS LIKE  (Read 12017 times)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: HERE IS WHAT THE 35K DOLLAR JOB MOST OF YOU WILL BE DOOMED TO IS LIKE
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »
wise man once said we're all going to be held accountable for what we've done with what we've been given...

yeah, and look what happened to him
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
no kidding... my point exactly.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »
I work in the legal field in New York and the team of lawyers I work for went to UPenn, University of Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Touro, CUNY Queens, and New York Law School.  Each of them started at $50,000 that is the starting salary for attorneys here no matter where you go.   They all work in Manhattan and told me right of school they were not living a life of luxury.  However, the attorneys get $5,000 a year raises. You shouldn't expect to come out of Law School making 100,000 or something no matter what school you go to you have to be trained how to practice law in the real world. There are exceptions and you might come out with a high paying 100,000 job, but that doesnít happen often.  Every lawyer here has told me in law school you just learn the basics, but it takes a year or two before you can actually be a productive lawyer. Going to law school is a risk and you may in debt the rest of your life no matter where you go.

As for your don't go to lower than tier 1 law school a perfect example of you being wrong is that recent law graduates interviewed for a position here and there were five  candidates from the following schools Columbia, Harvard, NYU, Rutgers, and New York Law School. I got to sit in on the interviews and  the Harvard lady was the most arrogant & obnoxious person I have ever met and she did not even get past the first round of interviews.  The other four were cool and the Rutgers guy was the one who ended up taking the job.  He has done a really good job so far and I am sure the Harvard lady is still out pissing people off.   

for the record, if you go to Michigan, NYU, CLS, HLS, or peer schools (note i did not include penn because i hate penn), you can and should expect to make well over $100k upon graduation.  the exceptions are:

1) you screw up badly in terms of grades;
2) you have a horrendous personality and poor hygiene to boot; or
3) you are competing for a job in government or public interest that pays significantly less but is either a) something very competitive; or b) something about which you care very much.

Failed logic, again. Just, please stop posting.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »
So intelligent the art of using two keys on the keyboard at once escapes you...

before i read the rest of your post, i need to point out that this made me laugh.  :D

It's not hard to argue against the dumb poo you say, like that anyone from anywhere should expect to make $100k straight out, it's just not worth the time. It's sort of like taking the time to argue with a child about why their parents don't love them, they just plain don't. Actually, that probably explains a lot about your personality... that, or daddy loved you a little much... too many "hugs"...

heh.  i consider child molestation jokes beneath me, but they seem perfectly in line with your posting personality.

as for what i said about the $100k, the vast majority of hls, cls, nyu, and mich grads (note again that i left out penn because i hate penn) can and will get job offers from the big firms, where the starting salaries are $160k.  granted this figure will weaken a bit given the economy (and i mean a very small bit), but when i was going through recruiting roughly 95% or so of my law school class got offers from the big firms.  so given the exceptions that i pointed out, one can and should expect to make well upward of $100k.  now given that you know next to nothing about what it's like to be at one of these top schools and i do, you might want to: a) point out some kind of data that supports your position; or b) stop embarrassing yourself.

personally, i doubt you'll do either.  which is good for me because i'm getting a kick out of this.

Sorry non-trad, the numbers don't add up. Give me some links to support your data since you seem to intent on proving it, then we'll talk.

And I, for one, consider everything to be a comedy. It's either that, or a tragedy, and those of us that do attend law school already know enough about that.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
fixt.  ixnay on the real name!  :)

;)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 03:27:49 PM »
Yea that was really entertaining and I kind of got it started. 

Anyways, the guy that said I donít know what I am talking about the place I work for is a government entity/public interest firm whatever you want to call it so the new lawyers start at 50k no matter what school they went to.  I am sure they could make more somewhere else; that is just the starting salary where I work. What I originally meant to say was that not every lawyer in New York or anywhere makes 100K out of school. I feel some people on this site expect that coming out, i.e. the guy who started the original post saying someone might make 35k out of school.  I am sure there are lawyers that make 35K out of school or may even be unemployed at the moment and there are most likely some grads making 200,000 out of school.  There are no guarantees coming out of law school and if money is your only reason for going to law school you might be disappointed. 

Well hopefully this post can start another intense online fight and entertain me more.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »
EarlCat cleaned up some of the more vulgar posts.  Including the child molestation joke.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
Cowards, and people that lack a sense of humor. ;)