Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DIVERSITY STATEMENT QUESTION- please help!  (Read 3955 times)

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
DIVERSITY STATEMENT QUESTION- please help!
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:30:47 PM »
1. How long are do DS's usually go for?

2. Is it okay to reiterate some of the things I stated in my PS?

I would appreciate any advice and input on this. Thank you so much LSD. I cant say enough the tremendous and wonderful resource this community has been to me. :)

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: DIVERSITY STATEMENT QUESTION- please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:14:23 AM »
37 views and not even a single reply? cmon guys!  :-[

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
Hey - a general DS is about 1pg, double spaced. For people with really extraordinary circumstances, they are longer, but if that's not you, then 1 pg should be sufficient.

Ideally, you would cover different ground in your PS and your DS. Remember that you're crafting a package in an application - every part of the application should reveal a different aspect of you or your story. You can reiterate some of the things from your PS, but IMO, that would be kind of a waste of an additional statement.

Cool Beans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »
Hey - a general DS is about 1pg, double spaced. For people with really extraordinary circumstances, they are longer, but if that's not you, then 1 pg should be sufficient.

Ideally, you would cover different ground in your PS and your DS. Remember that you're crafting a package in an application - every part of the application should reveal a different aspect of you or your story. You can reiterate some of the things from your PS, but IMO, that would be kind of a waste of an additional statement.

Almost no school requires that a deversity statement should be a certain length.  Thus, it is completely up to you.  If the OP needs 5 pages to communicate his contribution to diversity, it is perfectly acceptable.  Adcomms appreciate well articulated and detailed statements, not these puny superficial 1-pagers. 

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »

Almost no school requires that a deversity statement should be a certain length.  Thus, it is completely up to you.  If the OP needs 5 pages to communicate his contribution to diversity, it is perfectly acceptable.  Adcomms appreciate well articulated and detailed statements, not these puny superficial 1-pagers. 

You're entertaining. Not as much as IvyLeague2Be, but you're learning quickly.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »
i appreciate both of your responses! how did i know Heartbreaker would come to my rescue! i swear, im on this site really for you and Blueskies  :)

thanks to the both of you though. i think i have to go with Heartbreaker here- adcomms dont want to read a huge DS when they still have other parts of your app they are busy with and thousands of other applications to sort through. i'll limit it to 1 page and try and touch on something different about my background.

the information has helped me tremendously. y'all are awesome!!  :)