Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SCOTUS clerk list  (Read 2720 times)

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SCOTUS clerk list
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
I think a majority of students at UCLA and Texas want to stay in LA or Texas (respectively). 
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

ziti

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ziti
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 02:06:41 PM »
Those two schools outside of the T14 are public, which may explain why so many of their grads stay in state.  Good luck with the SCOTUS clerkship.  Just remember that almost all SCOTUS clerks start out with a lower clerkship, so you should set your sights on that first.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 02:10:54 PM »
Especially the ones who didn't go to Yale, or Harvard.

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 02:14:56 PM »
Yale: 9%
Harvard: 13%
Stanford: 49%
Columbia: 72%
NYU: 69%
Chicago: 40%
Penn: 69%
UVA: 46%
Michigan: 38%
NU: 47%
Cornell: 65%
Duke: 40%
Boalt: 75%
GULC: 42%
---------------
UCLA: 87%
UT: 76%

Of course, these statistics are pretty ridiculous if Yale's "in-region" statistic if for students who stay in Connecticut (which it must be, since I'm pretty sure more than 9% of each class moves to NYC), while UCLA and Boalt are calculated according to the number of students who stay in California. There's a big, big difference between Connecticut and California. It might be more reasonable to compare how many of the students at Harvard, Yale, etc. stay in the Northeast Corridor (Boston to DC) to how many students at Stanford, Boalt, and UCLA stay in California.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »
You know what they say.

The supreme court is the place where the greatest legal minds in America gather... to clerk for the justices of the supreme court.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 02:38:33 PM »
Those two schools outside of the T14 are public, which may explain why so many of their grads stay in state.  Good luck with the SCOTUS clerkship.  Just remember that almost all SCOTUS clerks start out with a lower clerkship, so you should set your sights on that first.

Thanks, but I think the odds of me clerking for SCOTUS are between slim and none.  I'm not really "setting my sights on it", but I do think it's an interesting metric by which to compare law schools.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 03:03:11 PM »
Regarding placement

Texas and California rock. This is why Berkeley, UT, and UCLA are considered less national. People like to stay in these states.

Also, UT has the residency requirements which means that 80% of their students are Texas residents. I don't think this indicates that these people have difficulty getting placed nationally.

I think it is a sign that people want to stay in these states. Less national in numbers of people moving national is one thing. If it relates to ability to get jobs elsewhere, that is someting else.

I would imagine Berkeley has a national name, but people are still staying in CA, and Berkeley's ranking has been higher than it is now.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 04:03:07 PM »
Burgh,

As an engineer, and as a high LSAT scorer  ;), you have to know that using those statistics as a measure is extremely flawed.  A couple have already pointed out some flaws, and your casual dismissal of location when it comes to the New York and California schools undercuts your entire argument.  Go just a little further down that list and you will see how it comes apart even further.  Using state placement as a proxy for national reputation is a poor choice when much better data is available.  Shoot, if you want to use USNEWS as your standard, why not look at which schools they rate as national vs. regional?  Or heck, let's use SCOTUS even.  The Supreme Court should be a pretty good arbiter of reputation, right? :)

Anyhow, if you want to look at two studies devoted specifically to placement and which attempt to include a lot of factors that are truly germane to the argument, I have linked them below.  I hardly hold these out to be the be-all, end all of placement arguments (I think they each still have issues), but they are much closer to the mark than generic data.

http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/draft14.pdf
http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/results.htm