Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: top 5 law schools .....  (Read 2299 times)

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
top 5 law schools .....
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:48:35 PM »
I think we would all say Yale and Harvard are one at two, but how do you guys see the next few? I see stanford as more of a west coast school than a national powerhouse ..... its top ten, but its only #2-#3 because each coast needs a powerhouse .....

id say columbia, penn and michgan would be 3-5 .... in terms of overall prestige among lawyers, judges etc ..... an NYU/Stanford may be a step below in my opinion

any other comments ....

im still deciding between columbia and umich

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: top 5 law schools .....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:55:53 PM »
If you're only deliberating between Michigan and Columbia, you should probably focus more on where you want to end up working when you're done...

I'm in at Michigan, and WL at Columbia, but even if I got into CLS, I might just turn it down anyway... I want to work in Chicago when I'm done and escape CA/NY high prices... Gotta pay the loans down somehow, y'know?

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 12:09:48 AM »
I think we would all say Yale and Harvard are one at two, but how do you guys see the next few? I see stanford as more of a west coast school than a national powerhouse ..... its top ten, but its only #2-#3 because each coast needs a powerhouse .....

id say columbia, penn and michgan would be 3-5 .... in terms of overall prestige among lawyers, judges etc ..... an NYU/Stanford may be a step below in my opinion

any other comments ....

If you think Stanford is anything other than a top three, you are absolutely out of your mind.
USD 2L

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:56:20 AM »

any other comments ....

If this post is indicative of your analytical ability, you're going to have a tough time at either of those schools.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 04:08:29 AM »
to the OP:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia

If you are going west after LS, Michigan places very well here.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
to the OP:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia

If you are going west after LS, Michigan places very well here.

I agree more with this than the OPs opinion.  Stanford just t3 b/c the West coast needs a powerhouse? WTF are you smoking?

And if it's that good why aren't you sharing?

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 06:22:55 PM »
all im saying is upenn and nyu in terms of "prestige" from lawyers and judges are not top 5 and well below the michigans, columbias of the world ..... people who dont make columbia attend nyu and people who dont make nyu attend upenn .... stanford although a great school is more regional than some think ... ive had people tell me that NYC firms prefer a fordham or a brooklyn law to a stanford law ...

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 06:29:01 PM »
1. People's College of Law
2. Cooley
3. Regent
4. Concord
5. Florida Coastal
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple

mxpocc

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »
all im saying is upenn and nyu in terms of "prestige" from lawyers and judges are not top 5 and well below the michigans, columbias of the world ..... people who dont make columbia attend nyu and people who dont make nyu attend upenn .... stanford although a great school is more regional than some think ... ive had people tell me that NYC firms prefer a fordham or a brooklyn law to a stanford law ...

conversely, you might find similar oddities regarding the east coasters when in frisco or L.A.

if stanford is just #3 for the sake of having a "West coast" powerhouse, then yale and harvard are 1 and 2 for the sake of giving props to the oldest and wealthiest schools in the country.

one year, US NEWS placed stanford at #2, until Harvard b*tched and moaned, forcing them to pull the original prints from the stands and reissue lol.

not knocking Harvard--i'd throw myself down a flight of stairs to go there, and I'm positive their prestige is much much deserved. but it's not unreasonable to think that their 22billion dollar endowment isn't used at least somewhat to push their weight around.

BAFF213

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
Stanford just t3 b/c the West coast needs a powerhouse?

Yea this does sound pretty dumb - what is the logic behind this?