Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Schools That Have No Curve  (Read 7902 times)

DarkPedro

• View Profile
Law Schools That Have No Curve
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
Anyone?!

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: Law Schools That Have No Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:44:16 PM »
none that I am aware of
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:57:39 PM »
Yale. You either get "Pass" or "Honors". And you could probably fail a class, but I doubt that happens very often. Realistically, anyone who gets into Yale is probably going to put forth some effort, but there isn't a whole lot of pressure to go nuts. I mean, even if you get all "Pass" scores, you still graduated from freakin' Yale Law. I'd guess that getting a lot of "Honors" would give the top Yale students priority for the super prestegious clerkships, like working for a Supreme Court justice. But really, as long as you graduate and pass the bar (as over 94% do- which is actually disturbingly low [it really should be 100% on the first attempt] in my opinion considering the outrageously high GPA and LSAT scores of their student body) you'll have an enormous advantage over the graduates from almost every other law school.

I think there's another college in CT that doesn't give letter grades, they have detailed comments instead. But that school ain't no Yale, so it probably hurts their graduates a lot, since there's no "top of the class" for the law firms to immediately whisk away to hundred plus grand jobs- they have to look hard to find out who's the best, and looking hard is very expensive compared to looking at a nice rank % or GPA number.

My understanding is that a curve simply defines where the median grade is. The score where you'll be in the top 50% of your class. So, every school that has a grade based ranking system has a curve (effectively). They just might not try to influence where that curve is.

So what I think you really want to know is "What are some law schools that have their curves set very high?" For those, you'll have to call 'em up and see if they'll tell you, or ask students. But even if the curve is 3.5, being at the bottom 25% of your class with a ~3.25 is not going to impress your prospective employers (unless you went to a top school).
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:59:48 PM »
Good point about yale, but even they probably have a set grading distribution, at least for larger classes.
Attending UVa

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:01:26 AM »
Boalt still has a pre-determined grading scale that acts as a sort of curve (10-30-60 I think).
Attending UVa

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:52:44 AM »
even schools that don't have conventional grading systems are kind of forced to limit the number of high grades that are given.  sure, every student at yale is very bright, but employers, judges, and yes even fellow students, want to be able to distinguish those students who excel even among the best.  particularly with regards to employment issues, not having curved grades may be a bad thing.

kok

• It ain't chest, babe ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:55:10 PM »
Northwestern has no curve, does not rank students at all

nu2006

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 04:27:43 PM »
Northwestern has no curve, does not rank students at all

Classes above 40 are curved so most of the 1L classes are curved, after that there are plenty of non-curved classes.  However, there is no class rank, and On Campus Interviewing is done on a random lottery.

loudfarting

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
Pop, pop, poppy it up! ;)

mjb

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
I think curves are kinda stupid. When the poolis competitive youll have smarter and more capable people. This happens when the economy is sour. When it is good youll have less intelligent folks. I dont know if they change how they curve regularly. :)