Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT, doing well in law school?  (Read 3422 times)

lo_

• View Profile
Low LSAT, doing well in law school?
« on: March 15, 2005, 01:06:18 AM »
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 11:16:56 PM    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All professors have access to your admission file .. they will see what GPA and LSAT score you had and they very well may use that info to figure out your final grade. Law schools strive to make it appear like there's a correlation between the admission index used to admit students and their first-year grades (and to a certain extent there may well exist such a correlation)

What do you think of this?

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
Re: Low LSAT, doing well in law school?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:08:38 AM »
Well, if that truly is the case, then I guess I am in for a very crappy academic record in law school.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:48:26 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All professors have access to your admission file .. they will see what GPA and LSAT score you had and they very well may use that info to figure out your final grade. Law schools strive to make it appear like there's a correlation between the admission index used to admit students and their first-year grades (and to a certain extent there may well exist such a correlation)

Law school grading is blind. Professors do not know whose final they are grading when they are grading it. Hence this post is incorrect. HTH
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

CosmicDancer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 11:38:56 PM »
OP is wrong.  I have a friend that graduated at the TOP of her class and she scored a 155 on her LSAT.

bychanging

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:18:22 AM »
Yes, the supposition is wrong. In fact, it's a well-known fact that the correlation between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades varies from one law school to another (as does the correlation between GPA and first-year law school grades). During 2002, validity studies were conducted for 182 law schools. Correlations between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades ranged from .02 to .60 (median is .39). Correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade-point averages and first-year law school grades ranged from .23 to .66 (median is .50).

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/lsat-scores-as-predictors.asp

If it were like the poster is suggesting the correlation would be much higher than .50.

shimonperez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:50:19 AM »
I don't think it's true

mambo no. 5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:55:06 PM »
It cant be given a definite response to this question, I guess. It depends what you call "low LSAT score" and then if you're talking about a higher or lower tiered school.

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 05:03:06 PM »
I remember at Suffolk a professor told me that their exams are blind and that the Registrar takes it very seriously. Basically your exam only has a number on it, and the correlation between number and your name is kept under heavy lock and key by the registrar. That's how it works at Suffolk, at least. I think most schools use a blind system now to avoid the "suck up" or "Third Eschelon"  effect as Hart calls it in Paper Chase.

BAFF213

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:54:11 PM »
What tier/school?

OP is wrong.  I have a friend that graduated at the TOP of her class and she scored a 155 on her LSAT.

jkang2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 08:29:11 PM »

It seems like a very bold accussation.  You will learn in law school about EVIDENCE.  Namely, some evidences are more supportive of your claims than others.  Your evidence is some fabricated "what-if" hypothetical with no substantial evidence.  Yes, I do not doubt the possibility that what you say could be true.  However, I believe that it is groundless.