Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First draft of my letter to UTexas (re: BigTex)  (Read 4840 times)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
First draft of my letter to UTexas (re: BigTex)
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:17:17 PM »
Dear Mr. Ramos,

I've been admitted to the Class of 2008, and have been repeatedly encouraged to contact your office in case I have any questions.

I have several questions arising from an alleged incident concerning a user that goes by the name 'BigTex'. behavior of the admissions staff. In the interest of making an informed decision about where I enroll in law school, I wish clarification of several points.

1)   Did a representative of the University of Texas cross-reference an application with the user 'BigTex' on lawschoolnumbers.com?
2)   If so, was your office concerned about a missing addendum concerning diversity that BigTex alleged he sent to all schools?
3)   If so, did your office contact other schools about this affair? Is it standard operating procedure to discuss applications over the phone? 
4)   If so, did you make an attempt to contact 'BigTex' before contacting other schools he applied to?
5)   Is there any other information you could share that would shed light on this situation?

As somebody who shared deeply private information in my application to the University of Texas, I'm concerned about the way applications are treated.

Further, please note that any reply I receive will be posted to the pre-law forum at lawschooldiscussion.org.

Thank you,
<my name, LSAC #, SS#>

Please suggest changes; this is a very rough first draft, but I want to get this out right away. And my ego won't be bruised; make suggestions on whatever you think needs improvement.

Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: First draft of my letter to UTexas (re: BigTex)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:19:08 PM »
I would absolutely love to hear UT's reply.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:08 PM »
please post their response asap. 

LordofLight

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 11:27:36 PM »
high interest tag

ilsox7

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:28:21 PM »
I'd pick up the phone and call them.  When you confront someone in person (aka phone) it is much more difficult for them to get out of answering the questions posed. 

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 11:31:02 PM »
^ Yeah, I'll definitely post this when I get a response.

Ilsox-- One step at a time. If I get an evasive response, I'll escalate to a phone call. I really hope that I'll get an amicable response though. I'm fully expecting a, "We can't discuss the situation due to privacy concerns" response, but I hope I'm wrong.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 11:32:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure they'll give a totally bull answer.  But I'm so glad to know you're calling them out, anyway. 
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

ilsox7

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 11:37:30 PM »
^ Yeah, I'll definitely post this when I get a response.

Ilsox-- One step at a time. If I get an evasive response, I'll escalate to a phone call. I really hope that I'll get an amicable response though. I'm fully expecting a, "We can't discuss the situation due to privacy concerns" response, but I hope I'm wrong.

Makes sense. 

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 11:37:46 PM »
Dominique-- No doubt. :).

Okay, I reworked a paragraph to underscore that I'm taking this seriously:

As somebody who shared deeply private information in my application to the University of Texas, I'm concerned about the way my information is treated. I'm seriously considering attending the University of Texas in the fall, and the way these questions are resolved will have a strong impact on my ultimate decision.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 11:38:56 PM »
As  much as I'm looking forward to a reponse (Becuase I really hope UT did not actually act in such an unethical manner), I doubt they will respond to any personal inquiries from applicants regarding this.  However, I have already contacted the editor of the Daily Texan about this.  It seems like the type of story they would be interested in persuing, and they may have the pull to get answers from the law school.  I really hope the answer is: This never happened and the whole thing was a huge Internet hoax.