Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 302158 times)

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard 05-06
« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2005, 09:17:57 AM »
Hi im new to this board and I had several questions for HUSL2007 about howard law school. I'm from D.C. I have a 157 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA from a small private school. I was a military intelligence analyst for 4 years. Do I have a decent shot at admissions and if so is a scholarship possible? Also I noticed the abnormally high starting salary at howard law school (105,000 last time I checked.) Is that correct? I spent a few days looking at top law firms and don't see to many howard graduates but I did notice they had a higher amount of people go into the business sector. I was just hoping someone could explain this to me. Thank you for your time everyone.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2005, 11:06:40 AM »
You have to approach any schools' stats with skepticism. Also, Howard has a lot of grads who go into the government. Howard has a few people at some biglaw firms but not in abundance like Columbia or NYU. With your numbers, I hope Howard is one of many schools you apply to. You have a chance at getting a scholarship at many schools. If you can afford to go visit some schools. It makes all the difference. Good luck.

Hi im new to this board and I had several questions for HUSL2007 about howard law school. I'm from D.C. I have a 157 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA from a small private school. I was a military intelligence analyst for 4 years. Do I have a decent shot at admissions and if so is a scholarship possible? Also I noticed the abnormally high starting salary at howard law school (105,000 last time I checked.) Is that correct? I spent a few days looking at top law firms and don't see to many howard graduates but I did notice they had a higher amount of people go into the business sector. I was just hoping someone could explain this to me. Thank you for your time everyone.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone with personal experience choosing Howard w/ $ over T14?
« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2005, 11:55:58 AM »
So, are you planning to mentor a 1L next year (hint, hint ;))?  Roxie needs a mentor....

Hello fellow BLSDers!  I am actually the original poster.  I mentioned this a while back, but in another thread.  Sorry for the confusion.  As for my decision, I ended up paying the deposit at Howard and the 1st and 2nd seat deposits at Georgetown, only because my current employer suggested I send a formal request asking the company to foot the bill.  No word yet and I'm really getting down to the wire on this decision.  As I sit at work today, I really feel that Howard's offering fits better with the path I'd like to take (minimal debt, no commitment to my current employer or pressure to practice IP or Patent law).  

HUSL2007 - thanks for sharing your experiences Soror  ;).  I got soooo excited while reading your post.  Between staying on top of all the logistics of entering law school this fall and working full time, I've hardly given myself a chance to sit back and appreciate the great experience that I'll be embarking on.  Your post is inspiring and brought back the excitement that's gotten lost in all the stress of making this decision.  Do you mind sharing how you met and partnered with your mentor?  

Thanks everyone for your comments and I'll be sure and let you all know when I've DEFINATELY made a decision.

Finding My Mentor

At the beginning of the Fall semester I was paired with a upperclassmen.  She had way too much going on.  So I decided "I don't need a mentor!" "I got through undergrad without one and still was at the top of my class."  Around the middle of the semester... when EVERYONE was talking about outlining and synthesizing the rules, I was crying and pulling my hair out.  I needed someone to talk to about the way I was feeling. 

I had a lot of help from other students.  And I made a lot of friends but no one would push me and yell at me and give me tough love.

Well... one day in the Rhatt (student center) I was talking to my study partner and this student walked up to us because she heard us talking about LEEWS (an lawschool exam writing prep class) and she told us that we should take it.  And then she left.

I paid her no attention, took the advice and signed up for LEEWS...

It was unbelivable... I left LEEWS with some insight into preparing for finals.

I searched for the girl... asked my study partner... got the name... sent her an email.. and the rest is history.

She is the sweetest, smartest, most disciplined person I know at the law school.  I mean.. there are other students with those characteristics... but I know MY mentor.

She taught me how to take class notes... she told me the date I should start my outlines... she told me when to stop outlining... and believe it or not... she stayed up with me studying.  So my study partner, my mentor and I studied together.  When I need to study and my study partner couldn't make it ... she would be there... when her study partners could not make it she would call me to stay up with her. 

At the end of my first semester... I had wonderful grades... but not stellar (some would disagree but I don't think my grades where stellar).

I cried and complained... and she said she would slap the hell out of me (she has a weird sense of humor)... because I had great grades!

She helped me get my stuff together... showed me how to effectively prepare for an open book and close book examination.  She final showed me her secret to exam writing (must be tweaked for each professor)... My grades this semester were stellar!  She is wonderful... she told me what to do at my interviews, what to wear, what not to wear... it might sound crazy... but I don't have time to reinvent the wheel... I am working at a top firm in a major city (as a 1L - rising 2L)

My mentor has become a sister to me...

She said I would make the top 25%... I made that and exceeded that...

I wish that everyone could find a mentor like the one I had for the first year of law school and she will continue to be that mentor throughout my life. 

HUSL2007
Think before you speak.

HUSL2007

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
So, are you planning to mentor a 1L next year (hint, hint ;))?  Roxie needs a mentor....

Roxie, I prefer not to have an assigned mentee.  I will help you succeed.  You can claim me as your mentor... but I won't hide the ball from other students that seek my help.  I don't think it would be fair... since my mentor had other people she would help out.  Send me a PM and I will give you my number... you can call before you start school or after you start school... I will help you.  Be safe and get lots of sleep!

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »
No prob - I won't be a mentor hog..... ;)  It's just great to know that there are people around willing to help!

Roxie, I prefer not to have an assigned mentee.  I will help you succeed.  You can claim me as your mentor... but I won't hide the ball from other students that seek my help.  I don't think it would be fair... since my mentor had other people she would help out.  Send me a PM and I will give you my number... you can call before you start school or after you start school... I will help you.  Be safe and get lots of sleep!

Think before you speak.

HUSL2007

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 06, 2005, 02:51:34 PM »

Disclaimer:  I have no knowledge about tehe admissions criteria at Howard Law.  Any opinion offered my me about Howard is in no way indicative of Howard's admissions criteria. 

Now that I have gotten the disclaimer out of the way...

Yes I think you stand a good chance of getting into Howard Law with a scholarship.  The top 40% of Howard Grads end up a biglaw and medium law firms.  If you are at least in the top 25% of the class you stand a good chance of starting at 105K, this of course is subject change base on where you decide to work.. example NY biglaw averages at 125K, Chicago 115-125K, atlanta 105-110K.

The decision on where you want to work after lawschool is a personal decision.  Frankly I know people at the top of the class that would refuse a job at a biglaw.   And I know people who are not in the top of the class that get jobs at top US law firms... some students want to do international human rights... while others want a 9-5 government job.  If you know what you want, then you work for what you want.  I like to keep my options open... so I stay in the top of my class... in the event I want to do biglaw...

I would suggest that you take time out to think about your choice of law school.  I would suggest you call the dean... meet with him... and apply on the spot if you are pleased... I am happy with my choice... As Jdohno said.. there are many NYU and Columbia grads at biglaw... and while this is no surprise to me... there are just not many BLACK nyu and columbia grads at biglaw.  Based on my experience (meager at best) I noticed this summer at my firm (biglaw) that we had 5 howard grads but only like 3 vandy, 2 emory BLACK attys.  Now you do the math... seems like somebody is recruiting heavily at HUSL... further, I noticed that a lot of people SLEEP on HUSL...

Trust me if you attend... you will be so surprised at the level of intensity and learn at HUSL... I can't get any better than being a HUSLer!

Peace

HUSL2007

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 06, 2005, 04:06:39 PM »
There aren't many BLACK grads of any law school at big law. It's important if biglaw is your career choice to go to a great school and do extremely well there. Even if you don't want to do biglaw at first, as HUSL 2007 stated, you want to have the option. Once you sit down and decide what area of law you want to practice among other things, look at many different law schools. I can't stressed enough about visiting law schools. Or talking to recent graduates and find out about employment prospects, etc. With your numbers, you can apply to a nice range of law schools. Go to LSAC.org and look at the ABA guide to get started.

I would suggest that you take time out to think about your choice of law school.  I would suggest you call the dean... meet with him... and apply on the spot if you are pleased... I am happy with my choice... As Jdohno said.. there are many NYU and Columbia grads at biglaw... and while this is no surprise to me... there are just not many BLACK nyu and columbia grads at biglaw.  Based on my experience (meager at best) I noticed this summer at my firm (biglaw) that we had 5 howard grads but only like 3 vandy, 2 emory BLACK attys.  Now you do the math... seems like somebody is recruiting heavily at HUSL... further, I noticed that a lot of people SLEEP on HUSL...

Trust me if you attend... you will be so surprised at the level of intensity and learn at HUSL... I can't get any better than being a HUSLer!

Peace

HUSL2007

blkhtw

• One day at a time
    • View Profile
Texas Southern just made me cry
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2005, 02:13:27 PM »
I just called Texas Southern because I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone about my financial aid. Got a hold of someone today and not only did they tell me that my financial aid was done but that I got a scholarship. TSU gave me a full tuition scholarship!! I'm stunned.

I'm happy but I am crying. These last few months have been so hard. I have been working 2 jobs to save money for school. I haven't heard anything from TSU since I was accepted. Now it looks like my first year will be taken care of. I'm stunned. I'm overjoyed.

I can finally get excited about starting law school instead of pulling out my hair wondering how I am going to pay for it. I don't know what to do now. I will quit one of my jobs now to get rid of some of the stress. I don't know why I cried instead of being happy when they told me about the scholarship. It has been so hard. I'm not a religious person but right now I really feel like someone is watching over me. I'm just so happy. I hope no one minds me sharing my joy and shock.

lex19

Re: Texas Southern just made me cry
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2005, 02:14:45 PM »
congrats blkhtw, your news gives me hope! goodluck in the fall

YoungIke

Re: Texas Southern just made me cry
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2005, 02:16:47 PM »
Congrats, the Lord works in mystrious ways and I am so happy for you!