Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 309812 times)

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2160 on: January 03, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
Just curious...for those of you who have applied to Howard...how long did they take to request a report?

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 04, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
Full ride @ Howard OR uber-debt @ Georgetown/Duke ??

I read the earlier discussion re: UVa and found it very helpful, but I'd like to get fresh perspectives on this....

Thanks in advance.

I go to Howard.  It is a great school.  There are so many recruitment opportunities and chances to network.  I literally have 30 e-mails in my mailbox right now concerning job opportunities.  There are seminars and panels, luncheons and cocktail parties, mock interviews and resume reviews, and invitations to apply for clerk positions and government jobs.  Employers come to Howard, obviously, looking for black students.   

Howard is a unique school.  It's Tier 3, but I know a student who will be working at WLK when he graduates in May.  Traditional wisdom states that if you finish top third a job at market rate is yours, as in employers will seek you out and compete for your services.  1L's have OCI in the Spring and a minority land associate positions their first year. 

The professors are excellent.  One of my teachers worked on the Jena 6 case and the Seattle school segregation case; students who are part of the Civil Rights clinic also were able to contribute.

We are almost like one big family.  I did not pay for half of my books because 2L and 3L students gave them to me along with outlines and advice.  It is a very nurturing community; fun, even.  I have had the time of my life, in this, my first year.

I cannot speak on Georgetown extensively, or on Duke at all.  However, the black people I have met at Georgetown seem like good people.  And just from my own snap judgements on the few Georgetown students I met, it seems like the best at Howard can easily compete with Georgetown students.  I know several people who turned down offers at NYU and VA and Gtown to attend Howard.   Indeed, a lot of people who attend Howard look past the numbers (rankings, bar passage, etc…) and come anyway.  In my opinion, this contributes to the environment at Howard and the prevailing feeling that we are there to be more than just lawyers, but social engineers with a conscious.
The Tragicomic: It’s embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace one’s worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
Thanks for your input, Ella Ella.

Quote from: lalalagirl007
Just curious...for those of you who have applied to Howard...how long did they take to request a report?

I think they did it the day after I submitted my app.

Quote from: Duchess85
I applied to Howard but I have been home for the holidays and therefore haven't been able to check my mail at my apartment. Did Howard send their decisions snail mail or email? To permanent or local address?

They called the house about a month ago. I don't think I've gotten anything from them in the mail yet (except for that email they sent out a couple weeks ago to everyone who'd applied).

EDIT: This isn't true.  I found some mail I got from them the second week of December.  I'd forgotten about it.

lishi

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »
I know to some this may seem stupid to some, but I'm curious to what people would choose if they were given the choice between W&M and Howard.

But I've been looking at job statistics and it's starting to sound like I would have better job opportunities at Howard. They have 454 firms do OCI at their school. That's huge!!! Also Howard gave me basically a full scholarship, so that would also sweeten the deal. I just wanted to get people's opinions. I understand being a rankings whore, and that Howard is a Tier 3 school, but I'm talking more about the future. I know prestige can be a big factor later on in some ones career but how far can that really go??

I am half black half white, and I'm interested in doing BigLaw for a few years (until I can pay off my loans and put a downpayment on a house) and then switch to a mid- or small sized firm.

Also these are NOT the only two schools I'm considering, these are just the ones that I feel like comparing now. I love all the schools I was accepted to (that's why I applied) and I have some serious things to look over before I make a final decision.

lishi

• View Profile
Howard vs. William & Mary
« Reply #2164 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
I know to some this may seem stupid to some, but I'm curious to what people would choose if they were given the choice between W&M and Howard.

But I've been looking at job statistics and it's starting to sound like I would have better job opportunities at Howard. They have 454 firms do OCI at their school. That's huge!!! Also Howard gave me basically a full scholarship, so that would also sweeten the deal. I just wanted to get people's opinions. I understand being a rankings whore, and that Howard is a Tier 3 school, but I'm talking more about the future. I know prestige can be a big factor later on in some ones career but how far can that really go??

I am half black half white, and I'm interested in doing BigLaw for a few years (until I can pay off my loans and put a downpayment on a house) and then switch to a mid- or small sized firm.

Also these are NOT the only two schools I'm considering, these are just the ones that I feel like comparing now. I love all the schools I was accepted to (that's why I applied) and I have some serious things to look over before I make a final decision.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Howard vs. William & Mary
« Reply #2165 on: January 07, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
Howard, esp. since they probably feed into the same markets.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: January 08, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
I'd (almost) definitely pick Howard.

Despite, its rank, HUSL probably has more national pull. W&M wouldn't be worth the debt, given a full ride to Howard methinks.

(I also voted Howard in your poll on TLS. ;))

joebuddencirca03

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 08, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
Howard, easily, for me.
Georgetown 1.5L

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 08, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
Yep. I'd agree.  Howard hands down.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2169 on: January 08, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
Howard... if you are Black.