Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299984 times)

wolvareen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard vs. Cardozo Law??
« Reply #1410 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:36 AM »
I was just reading the website for the CIAs office of general counsel. It states : "You can apply to the CIA directly or interview on campus if they come to your school. The CIA interviews on campus at UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, Howard, Harvard, William & Mary, Yale, and Duke"

So yea. The CIA apparently likes Howard students...

Mimi

• View Profile
Re: Howard vs. Cardozo Law??
« Reply #1411 on: May 04, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »
Thanks for replying. I've recieved 15k from Cardozo and 10k from Howard with the requirement of staying in the top 50% (for both schools). I've taken into consideration the cost of living in nyc, and DC and sure it might be easier to live very close to the campus which is what will happen if I move to DC in contrast to living further away from Cardozo if I stay in NY...that's a plus for DC. But, just by checking out the upperlevel courses and clinical programs between the two,I'm looking towards Cardozo. It's not my final decision, I feel that I need to talk more to the  school's BLSA + I still need to take a trip out to DC to check out Howard's campus. With regards to areas of practicing, I like NYC but I'm not against going to other cities (chi-town, atl,etc).

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is Howard All That It is cracked up to be????
« Reply #1412 on: May 04, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »
I am considering a decision that has already been talked about over and over on this thread. 2 schools in DC, one of them being Howard. My question now is this, Howard apparently has over 400 recruiters recruit at the school, however in doing my research on nalp, some of the firms listed on nalp (that supposedly recruit at Howard), do not even allow you to search for Howard (Howard is not even a listed school) on their website. And on some of these sites, they list only 1,2 or 3 graduates of Howard Law. **Never more than 4**. I also noticed that most of the people listed are in litigation, labor litigation etc.

Should I pass up Howard with little debt and go to a higher ranked school where I might rack up massive debt? I am not interested in human rights or civil rights advocacy. I am yet to decide what area of law I trully want to go into, but is it worth it to go to Howard for cheap if I am interested in practising in an area of law that Howard is not largely known for??

I have read all the pros and cons, but I'm wondering if Howard is stellar in all areas of law?

Slow Blues

Re: Is Howard All That It is cracked up to be????
« Reply #1413 on: May 04, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »
And on some of these sites, they list only 1,2 or 3 graduates of Howard Law. **Never more than 4**

Bear in mind, Howard's class is very small, around 160 or so. You shouldn't expect to see more than a handful of Howard grads at any firm, regardless of size.

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 04, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
And on some of these sites, they list only 1,2 or 3 graduates of Howard Law. **Never more than 4**

Bear in mind, Howard's class is very small, around 160 or so. You shouldn't expect to see more than a handful of Howard grads at any firm, regardless of size.

HMmm...that's interesting, I never thought of that. What about the grade curves, I hear the curve is pretty low. I mean, I don't want to b e one of those people who say, ahhh, I will kick ass in Howard compared to a different school. What do you think of this curve at Howard if any?

faith2005

« Reply #1415 on: May 04, 2006, 03:40:31 PM »
lol--you know what I've noticed in my first year EVERY firm wants black people in labor and employment--I'm determined NOT to do that ish if I work at a firm. so if they're all under labor and employment know that that is not specific to Howard.

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 04, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »
lol--you know what I've noticed in my first year EVERY firm wants black people in labor and employment--I'm determined NOT to do that ish if I work at a firm. so if they're all under labor and employment know that that is not specific to Howard.

Lol..... I do know that, c'mon now!

I'm saying I want to go into 'maybe' corporate law, international law, health law. I mean, I have no clue yet, but it's scary if they are mostly hiring HOward grads for litigation and labor and employment law. You k now, civil rights kinda stuff. I saw only 1 corporate Howard associate in my search. I don't want to go into litigation.......Gosh!

I wish I could just get a revelation from God himself on what to do.

faith2005

« Reply #1417 on: May 04, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
wait--I wasn't making fun of you. I didn't know that before I started law school. and if most black people end up in that area and howard is a black school then don't you think that'd be where you'd find most howard grads? And I don't see how its "civil rights" kinda stuff--I think its more anti civil rights. but to each his own...

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 04, 2006, 04:33:51 PM »
Go to DC. visit both. Choose.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Howard vs. GW
« Reply #1419 on: May 05, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »
Thanks! Luckily, Michigans colors are the same as GWs so I can keep all of my yellow and blue gear hahaaa.

Hi there. Were you offered any scholarships at GWU?? Have you heard anything on scholarships that may be available after 1l? I'm not sure I want to go 150k in debt in school, I'd like to have some of that cost defrayed, even if not in my 1st year, then in my last two years.