Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 312586 times)

ReformedSlacker(HFG)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard Grading Curve?
« Reply #1400 on: April 25, 2006, 03:56:56 PM »
Can anyone confirm this? I have been wondering the same thing to.

| J |

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard vs Houston
« Reply #1401 on: April 25, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
Houston is nearly the land of milk and honey for African-Americans.  I spent 10 years there, and I have to say, the city is choc full of opportunity for movers and shakers.  Having said that, I chose USD over Houston because I spent 10 years there, and didn't want to go back.  I think the answer to this question comes down to where you want to work after graduation.
USD '09.  Sunny San Diego, baby!

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2006, 12:22:54 AM »
I heard that it puts most students at a B-...thats about all I got

Howard like most other tier 3 and 4 schools has a mandatory curve that hovers around the B- to C range.  However employers are aware of this so if you really want to attend Howard I wouldn't stress over it.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2006, 12:44:31 PM »
ouch. the B-/C curve.  And here I am complaining about our B curve
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

wolvareen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard vs. GW
« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »
In case anyone wanted to know my decision...after paying both deposits, I have decided on GW.

why?!
- Way more classes -- this is huge
- IP progam prestige
- Howard sent me a letter (5 days after I sent in my deposit) saying that renewal in FULL of my scholarship was contingent on my placing in the top 10% of my class. Could I have done it? Maybe, but that is a ton of pressure.

I also spoke with the student body pres. of Howard, and a former Howard prof. (currently at American), so I got a good idea of what the school is like. I like the size of the school compared to GW, but there are too many good things about GW to pass up given that Howards scholarship isn't a given

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »
congrats wolvareen.. you're gonna love it.. Go Colonials ... any questions PM me ...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

wolvareen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1406 on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:53 PM »
Thanks! Luckily, Michigans colors are the same as GWs so I can keep all of my yellow and blue gear hahaaa.

Mimi

• View Profile
Howard vs. Cardozo Law??
« Reply #1407 on: May 03, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »
Hey,

I'm admitted to both Cardozo & Howard...both offered merit scholarships. I like both schools, but Cardozo seems to have alot more variety with regards to clinical programs & journals. However,on the other hand I've always wanted to have a HBCU experience, and I really like the comfort that Howard exudes. I'm unsure about the reputation, job opportunities of both schools...I'd really appreciate some pros and cons please.

wolvareen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard vs. Cardozo Law??
« Reply #1408 on: May 04, 2006, 10:30:20 AM »
How much are you getting from each school? Do they require you to place in a certain percentile to have it renewed?

Slow Blues

Re: Howard vs. Cardozo Law??
« Reply #1409 on: May 04, 2006, 11:09:14 AM »
How much are you getting from each school? Do they require you to place in a certain percentile to have it renewed?

This is a good start.

God forbid you lose the scholarship, Howard is half the price of Cardozo.

Also, cost of living in Manhattan is much higher than DC.

Howard offers good recruiting opportunities (I would say better than Cardozo), though some here on BLSD question whether top firms really hire from Howard or only keep up the appearances.

There's not as big a selection of courses after 1L at Howard as there is at Cardozo.

Lastly, where do you see yourself practicing? I can't say Cardozo does well outside of the Greater New York area. You might find yourself with wider opportunities (geographically) at Howard.