Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 312357 times)

Alicat17

• View Profile
Re: I have a dilemma (a good dilema but still a dilema)
« Reply #820 on: February 02, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »
For the record, I've been both in debt and broke and would advise you to take a T5 over Howard.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if you should take UVA over Howard with $$$$.  Question: What happens if you get into Harvard now?  Would you give up the free ride then?

Excellent question.  For me, Harvard is my one and only exception; in my experience, Harvard grads dominate the public policy arena (w. the law school, Kennedy school, etc), and with a Harvard degree I could literally write my own ticket. That said, if I am blessed with the option of a full ride, I can't see myself going into that much debt for any other school

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 02, 2006, 10:55:02 PM »
OK folks I enjoyed this thread but Im about to end it. I decided on howard with the full ride heres the reasons why:

1) I wont be broke

2) I love dc

3) I'm intrested in anti-trust and international trade. I wouldnt be able to take a job at the commerce dept or DOJ anti trust with more responsibility because of the debt.

4) I want to settle down sooner than later and I dont want to do it with a bunch of debt.

5) I manually went to the web sites of all the top 100 firms and did school searches on the attorneys when I looked at black associates and partners ther were more howard grads overall than blacks from many other of the top 25 law schools combined.

6) A AM law top lawyer who will remain unnamed told me that in those fields if you perform well you wont hit any glass ceilings.

7) with the consortium of dc schools I can take classes at any dc law school.

8)If prestige really bothers me i can do an llm at georetown or somthing.

These arent the only reasons but they are important I found prestige holding way to much weight in my decsion. Especially seeing as how I didnt see any immediate and blatant career benefits. I mean bottom line debt is real. You need to have a realistic sense of how you wnt to live when you get out of school. Life is hard enough without being restricted by debt. I'm ready to be bombarded with rebuttels.

Congrats on the decision -- UVa won't be the same without you, I'm sure.  And as others have previously noted, we all know you're gonna do your thing at Howard Law.  Definitely hope to catch you at the DoJ, bro!!!

lacoste
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: February 03, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »
Harvard Yale or Columbia would be a harder decision. But UVA isnt either of those schools.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 03, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
Harvard Yale or Columbia would be a harder decision. But UVA isnt either of those schools.

OOC, would you have considered NYU one of those schools as well?

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: February 03, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »
Yes I do. However I was waitlisted there.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

ReformedSlacker(HFG)

• View Profile
    • Email
Howard University
« Reply #825 on: February 04, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
If you had a 2.5 ug gpa , what would be the Lsat score one would need to be considered a lock for acceptance?

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University
« Reply #826 on: February 04, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
If you had a 2.5 ug gpa , what would be the Lsat score one would need to be considered a lock for acceptance?

To be considered a lock I'd say at least 160 w/ that gpa.  Just an educated guess though.

windowshopper

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 05, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
Not even. Mind you that a 156 is their 75th percentile LSAT score.  So I would guess around there.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 05, 2006, 04:58:25 PM »
I had a 2.5 and a 162 and got waitlisted at Howard.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 05, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Not even. Mind you that a 156 is their 75th percentile LSAT score.  So I would guess around there.

Hmm, I don't know a 2.5 is a pretty big hurdle to jump (assuming there are no extenuation circumstances) and the OP asked what was needed to be a lock.  Yes, I agree that with a 156 and 2.5 one would have a decent chance at admission, but I believe a 160 would be needed to be a lock for admission.

EDIT: I'm wrong lol