Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Richardson's Prep?  (Read 1160 times)

Melatonin

• View Profile
John Richardson's Prep?
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:45:42 AM »
Has anyone taken this or have heard anything about it? I can't get to Toronto for Powerscore and this one is definately cheaper.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Congrats on everyone's acceptances btw! I have another year or so before I apply...

Joe
It's a Good Life if you Don't Weaken

LSATManiac

• View Profile
Re: John Richardson's Prep?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 06:56:08 PM »
Oh my god. Don't even bother wasting your money and time on John Richardson. It is the most useless thing I did in my life. I took the two weekend course and walked out of class on the Saturday afternoon and never returned. It was a complete disgrace to all LSAT prep companies. I am serious. If you have the money to waste, throw it down a bridge or something, it would be just as (or if not, more) useful to your LSAT score than Richardson.

Seriously consider PowerScore. If you can't get there for the full length course you might want to try the weekend one at least. When I took my course with Matthew he said he teaches weekend courses from nearby cities too, if there are enough students there. Email PowerScore and ask. Or if not, does TestMasters at least have a course in your city?

Whatever you do, just don't do Richardson.

Melatonin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:35:54 PM »
Haha, that's the exact direction I was looking for. Thanks for the response.  I'm currently at Laurier so I would ideally like to find a course in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.  I've seen that Oxford Seminars does a thing at the school so I may look into that.

Thanks again for the response.. I'll be sure to avoid it.  But you do recommend taking some sort of a course? I don't think I'm going to take it directly before I write the LSAT.. I may take it 6 months in advance and leave myself time to take it all in on my own after learning it.

Joe

legalhijinx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:39:50 AM »
hey, im not an avid reader of these pages, but i felt the need to register just to respond to this topic.

i completely disagree with the response-poster above. i did the one weekend course for the lsat in TO last year (about 2 weeks before the june lsat) and found the two-day course to be a decent intro into thinking about the lsat. granted, there definitely weren't too many moments of 'shock and awe' during the course, but i did walk away realizing the importance of simplifying my approach (particularly to the logic games section) and of managing my time the maximize the number of questions i get right. i think there are definitely some valuable pointers given in this course, and all-in-all im definitely glad i took it. though i didnt study at all for the lsat in any shape or form before i took the course, and then i proceeded to do about an hour to an hour and a half (on average) of old lsat sections per day for the next two weeks - between taking the course and writing the actual lsat - i ended up scoring very well.

if you've already done a lot of research on the lsat then perhaps you already have a decent grasp about what you're getting yourself into. however, i think it's a little silly to assume just because one person had a good time or a bad time with a particular course that everyone else will share their opinions. that being said, i personally did enjoy the teaching style and feel i got a good prep out of it. also, if you're curious about the teaching itself, john richardson does a whole slew of free, 1 or 2 hour seminars about the lsat all over the province to introduce you to the law school admission process and to his course. i attended one of these and felt that, since i seemed to relate well to his teaching style, i would do well to take the course with him.

also, in regards to the 6 months of prep time (etc etc etc), i think one of the most important things i took away from the lsat experience was not to let it become this big of a deal. 6 months, in my opinion, is GROSS OVERKILL. not only will you be completely sick of all the material and the old tests, but you might get really confused/frustrated about the whole process in general. this is one reason why i decided to only do a weekend course rather than a 4 week or an intensive month and a half through companies like kaplan (speaking of which, i had a close friend of mine who did a course like that with kaplan and had a whole lot of frustration come out of it and not too much positive feedback: in committing to this kind of undertaking, you might be spreading yourself a little bit too thin between the course and any other commitments - like school - that you might be heavily involved with. this means that something is going to suffer, and, if you're not focused on the task at hand for the lsat course, then your score might just be the thing to suffer the most)

anyways... i realize this post might be a little jumbled and all over the place - it's late and im studying for a midterm - but my main point is this: if you can, get to one of john's info sessions (see his website at prep.com). if nothing else, at least you'll get a better feel for the whole admissions process, even if you find him a particularly annoying speaker. just make sure you dont get in for the 'long haul' of a 6 week intensive lsat training program if you're not sure about it... especially if you have a shorter attention span than these kinds of things require.

anyways, good luck with the test further on down the road.

l8r

Melatonin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments... I'll look further into the prep course before I decide.  I'm glad I got the other side of the coin because of course, I try not to base my decisions on one person's view soit's good to see opposition.  Thanks for the info and the advice, it all makes some good sense.

Joe