Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testmasters or Powerscore in Toronto  (Read 1741 times)

idlewild

• View Profile
Testmasters or Powerscore in Toronto
« on: February 27, 2005, 12:43:41 PM »
Hey,
I'm going to be taking one of these prep courses for the June 2005 lsat and I was wondering which one I should take. It would seem that people on here say testmasters is better, but I've been using the Powerscore lgb and lrb to study, so I'm jsut wondering if taking the testmasters course would confuse me since they probably have different names for all their strategies and question types etc. So if anyone has any recommendations let me know

thanks
GPA: 3.65  LSAT: 170

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
Re: Testmasters or Powerscore in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 01:09:54 PM »
Testmsters gives you more hours of in class lecture
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

idlewild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »
Yeah I know testmasters has more class time, I'm just wondering if it their class will confuse me since I'm currently studying from the powerscore lgb and lrb.
GPA: 3.65  LSAT: 170

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »
Yeah I know testmasters has more class time, I'm just wondering if it their class will confuse me since I'm currently studying from the powerscore lgb and lrb.

The two companies were started by former partners, so much of the PS concepts are re-labelled TM concepts.

TM has better games strategies, but both are good.  You won't have any real trouble re-learning the method a la TestMasters, although TM would tell you it's best to start fresh.

Your biggest issue is that by doing a bunch of questions now, it means that occasionally, the TM diagnostics won't be true indications of your preparation level, since you'll recall how to do that game, etc.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

LSATManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 04:59:58 PM »

All the points above are valid, but the decision is actually really easy for you: TestMasters simply doesn't have a full-length course in Toronto. They MIGHT have a weekend one, but usually they have like 2-3 students max, which is awkward I heard.

I took the LSAT course here in Toronto with PowerScore. My instructor (Matthew) was young, but great. Very humorous and really knows his stuff. When he taught me he was only in his third year of undergraduate but had taught over 7 courses. If you do get Matthew as an instructor I highly recommend PowerScore. Otherwise I don't know.

OhCanada

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »

idlewild,

I was wondering about the exact same thing but instead I asked if people knew anything about the respective instructors for PowerScore or TestMasters in Toronto, since I heard that can make the most difference given the two companies are that much similar. You can take a look at the replies to my post if you want:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24373.0.html

I also posted one at the Canadian LSAT board and got some responses:

http://p210.ezboard.com/fcanadianlawschoolsfrm15.showMessage?topicID=326.topic

I think I would go with PowerScore. I called them up and they said Matthew is still the instructor for June at least.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 05:30:26 PM »

All the points above are valid, but the decision is actually really easy for you: TestMasters simply doesn't have a full-length course in Toronto. They MIGHT have a weekend one, but usually they have like 2-3 students max, which is awkward I heard.

Hey Maniac,

Until you've gained a measure of credibility by posting more than 6 times, you might at least do your homework before you start pimping for Powerscore.

What makes you flatly assert that Testmasters "simply doesn't have a full-length course in Toronto"? 

Do you work for TestMasters?  I suppose if you did, you'd be able to explain this Testmasters calendar for the full-length June Testmasters Toronto class:

http://www.testmasters180.com/lsat/LSATCourse/ClassFSchedule.aspx?ClassID=12151&State=CAX

I'm sure glad you were so pleased with young Matthew of Powerscore, but could you try not to mislead people who don't share your crush yet?

LSATManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »

theo,

>could you try not to mislead people who don't share your crush yet?

LOL fine. But honestly, I was going to take the TestMasters course last year. And for that course that also have the schedule up on their website. But a couple of days before the course they emailed me and said that they had to cancel because there were simply not enough people enrolled for them to fly an instructor here. They said that it usually happens for Toronto courses because people here usually only know about Kaplan and Princeton Review.
I believe her because even for our PowerScore course, we only had like 10 people.

I heard they didn't have a full-length course for December here as well. That's why I sort of just made the generalization. Maybe they will have one here for the June. In that case I will glady eat my words.

But the hard thing about them, as the lady told me, was that they don't have a permanent TestMasters instrcutor here in Toronto, so they have to fly one here for every class (you can call or email to verify). Whereas Matthew still goes to University of Toronto here.

Btw, How did you know I was a girl? Or was that supposed to be an insulting comment?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 05:59:21 PM »

Btw, How did you know I was a girl? Or was that supposed to be an insulting comment?

That's easy, I just pictured a male LSATmaniac, and took away reason and accountability.  And there you were.

Just kidding.  That's meant to be a quote from "As Good as it Gets", if I remember it accurately.

If your class got cancelled, then that is useful information for the O.P., who ought to call up TM and see what the registration looks like.

If they don't have an instructor there full-time, perhaps you ought to apply for the job, eh?

SpaceMonkey JD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 11:55:37 AM »
If you take the powerscore course, make sure it is at a well-established location with a veteran instructor.  Speaking from my experience, I took the Powerscore at a newly opening location (Tempe, Arizona) and was very disappointed with the results.  In fact, I felt jipped.  Basically, I ended up paying $1000+ for their literature and wasting many hours of my time.  I know you've stated location Toronto, but just a word of warning for those contemplating Powerscore.  Other peers I spoke with; however, were pleased with powerscore at more established locations.