Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 421545 times)

lex19

Re: My chances
« Reply #520 on: January 12, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
here's my opinion about your situation and it's only from what i've seen, experienced and heard from others.....

1. I think it would best if you scrapped the rec from the howard alum. If anything i would use it for Howard but from what I'm told schools want rec from prof. and this could only help your gpa situation if it's an outstanding one at that. I had an alum from a school write me an additional letter along with the dean of students and it did didly squat, no WL just DING.....unless a close relative is on the board of trustees or donating millions a rec outside of a prof or employer if you've been out of school for 5+ years is the best route in my opinion

2. You said that you started out well in undergrad and then dipped off due to justifiable circumstances and then raised your grades at the end, this is great and you need to justify it with an addendum. please write an adendum, they're supposed to be short and sweet so you won't have time or room to become whiny or make it seem like you're coping out and making excuses

3. I think that your experience in BR would be perfect for a diversity/adversity statement which so many school give an option for students to submit. i chose to combine my ps & diversity statement into one big "lex through the years" essay b/c i felt it was necessary for schools that didn't require a diversity statement to know certain things about me.

4. Have you been out of undergrad for 4 years working for southern or were you working for them during school? if so this shows a lot for you grades and can be added, if not kudos for you b/c it was prolly a great experience and shows commitment, blah blah blah

5. If doing a graduate program b/t now and entering law school is something you would like to do and would enjoy, i'd say go for it and do the damn thing. Although they only favor graduate performance so much i think since you're in abetter state of mind and place it'll show that you can perform academically. if i was you i would do it, i feel like it will open more doors at the top for you

6. as far as schools to apply to, take a look at the lsac website under the abab law school guide, most schools (except t14) have a chart (need adobe) that shows how many admits they take with certain lsat & gpa. if a certain school admitted someone with your numbers then i think thats a school that you have a decent chance at. even if it's only one person, b/c hey you never know right??? also i don't know your financial situation but if you can apply to as many schools as possible, again it's a you never know what could happen situation and someone is going to need that 170 for numbers and the hellish usa news rankings

7. as for howard goes i think you have a great chance of getting in, and their civil rights program is dope for obvious reasons

8. apply as early as you can, ie. as soon as schools start accepting apps, with so many schools having rolling admissions it only helps especially with the gpa factor.

9. make sure your essays are thorough and do the optionals, get a team together of 3 or 4 individuals who are essay nazis in every way....but remember not to edit so much that it's no longer your work.

okay good luck!!!!!!

ps. go to the applicantion boards and ask away there's way more ppl there that have tons of advice than blsd....although we do provide the best  :D ;D ;) jk, jk

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
Re: My chances
« Reply #521 on: January 12, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
thanks a lot , that was sound information that i really needed. I was just going to apply to two schools b/c i didn't think i had a shot at any others. I'm going to take your advice and another blsd member and do some research on a lot these law schools. Thanks again
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

stickman

• View Profile
Should I retake in June and wait til 07?
« Reply #522 on: January 12, 2006, 07:56:05 PM »
Hi Im a newbie to the board, 156 LSAT, 2.2 GPA  at a top 25 university in California.  I experienced some
hardships the last two years of my undergrad career and my GPA took a dive as a result.  I am a URM, male, 25 yrs. old(half-AA, half puerto-rican)  do u think I have a chance at a tier 3 or 4 in California?  Appreciate the help!

Ed

• Sr. Citizen
  • (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
Re: Should I retake in June and wait til 07?
« Reply #523 on: January 12, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »
Hi Im a newbie to the board, 156 LSAT, 2.2 GPA  at a top 25 university in California.  I experienced some
hardships the last two years of my undergrad career and my GPA took a dive as a result.  I am a URM, male, 25 yrs. old(half-AA, half puerto-rican)  do u think I have a chance at a tier 3 or 4 in California?  Appreciate the help!

This is tough to answer without more info about your ECs and work experience (these makeup something I like to call real world GPA, RWGPA) and your major in school.

However, if you haven't really been doing something strong since school, you should retake if your prep allows you to test in the high 160s or better on a few practice exams by mid-May.

Which CA schools are you thinking about?
An Enlightened Man
The arts and letters gave me my humanity. Mathematics and physics gave me my eyes. Economics and political science unveiled shadows. Military science and psychology evinced the shadows of the shadows. Philosophy corrected my perception and revealed my life’s purpose.

stickman

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 12, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
major at UCLA was Political Science,  I graduated in 04, been splitting time between real estate (sales license in 99, brokers license in June 05)  and working in a private firm dealing primarily in securities and contracts.  Interested in Chapman, Southwestern, Loyola, Pepperdine, Dream schools are USC UCLA San DIego

Ed

• Sr. Citizen
  • (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »
Stickman:

A 2.2 in Poli Sci from UCLA is good but, you need to get that LSAT up. I'm just being real with you. I would invest big in LSAT prep for June. Do you think you can break a 170? If you can, your bargaining power would go up so high that you might squeeze into a T1 with a great app.
An Enlightened Man
The arts and letters gave me my humanity. Mathematics and physics gave me my eyes. Economics and political science unveiled shadows. Military science and psychology evinced the shadows of the shadows. Philosophy corrected my perception and revealed my life’s purpose.

Pericles

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I Walk The Plank?
« Reply #526 on: January 20, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »
Just got an invitatin to apply to Stanford. Should I take a shot at Palo Alto this late in the game with 3.15/166 (black male)? Or is this just an attempt to bank another $75 from the West Coast King?

Slow Blues

Re: Should I Walk The Plank?
« Reply #527 on: January 20, 2006, 02:16:02 PM »
I got an invite too. If I wasn't already locked in, I would've given Stanford a twirl and my numbers are, for all intents and purposes, identical to yours. I say apply.

lex19

« Reply #528 on: January 20, 2006, 03:16:54 PM »
DO IT!!, especially if it won't throw a wrench in your pockets

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 20, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »
If you'd really attend and got the cheese....no reason not to.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht