Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429139 times)

marmars83

• View Profile
Re: 3.15/146 What schools can I apply to?
« Reply #500 on: January 08, 2006, 12:00:48 AM »
Thank you for all of your comments.  I am going to retake the test in feb.  I am still scoring the same as before. Between 150-156. However, I get really nervous when I take tests, thus my score of 146.  I am unable to take a prep course because I am broke.  But I do have the Kaplan course books, powerscore books, and other study books.  If anyone would like to look at my personal statement and give me some feed back that would be great.  I am going to start applying to all the schools within the next two weeks.  I have already applied to one.  Here is the list of some of the schools I am applying to:
Boalt-dream school
UC Hastings-dream school
Buffalo
Syracuse
Santa Clara
Loyola-Los Angeles
Pepperdine
Golden Gate
University of San Francisco
University of the Pacific McGeorge
Thomas Jefferson
And 3 other free tier 4 schools across the country.

marmars83

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 08, 2006, 12:02:14 AM »
I am also applying to Howard and Gonzaga

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2006, 10:31:15 PM »
Are you still in school?
If you are, or less than a year out, my honest suggestion is to take a year and work.  Get some money together, take a prep course, then take the LSAT again in the fall.

marmars83

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2006, 01:04:35 AM »
Thank you all for your comments.  I think I am going to take another year off so I can study for the LSAT.  Now I need to find a job.  Any suggestions?  I am looking for one in the Bay Area.   

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2006, 01:18:21 AM »
That's a great idea.  You say "another" year off, does that mean you've already taken one?

Anyway, you can always go for a paralegal gig with a law firm.  You never know what you'll get, sometimes it could be mindless work, sometimes it could be good experience.  Sometimes it's 9-5, sometimes it's long hours.  Fortunately there's almost always overtime.  In any case, keep in mind that it is only temporary and you are aiming for something bigger. :)

marmars83

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice and the link.  I just registered to volunteer at the event. I am going to post my resume on craigslist in order to find a job at a law firm.  Thank you again!!!

Go_Blue26

• View Profile
Should I retake?
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2006, 11:43:53 PM »
It's decision time.  I need to decide whether or not to retake the LSAT in February.  I have to make this decision by January 13th.

Right now, I have a 159 and a 3.9.  Ivy League school.  Lots of good EC's, 2 years WE. 

Schools: UVA, Duke, UNC, GTown, Vanderbilt, Texas

Do I have a shot at any of these schools as things currently stand?  What would I need to score on a February retake to significantly boost my chances?

I've been taking practice tests and missing around 14 questions.  I think that would put me in the 163-166 range, even on a harsh scale.  My only worry is that I'll get a really hard logic game, and end up with a score even lower than where I currently stand.

Should I just let it go, and hope for the best?  If my current stats don't get me into anywhere good, I can always spend a year at a lower ranked school (I'm applying to lots of schools where my 159 is right on the median), and attempt to transfer up.

Any input is truly appreciated.  I have to make this decision right away.  Thanks.

John

almuhajaba

Re: Should I retake?
« Reply #507 on: January 10, 2006, 11:51:32 PM »
It's decision time.  I need to decide whether or not to retake the LSAT in February.  I have to make this decision by January 13th.

Right now, I have a 159 and a 3.9.  Ivy League school.  Lots of good EC's, 2 years WE. 

Schools: UVA, Duke, UNC, GTown, Vanderbilt, Texas

Do I have a shot at any of these schools as things currently stand?  What would I need to score on a February retake to significantly boost my chances?

I've been taking practice tests and missing around 14 questions.  I think that would put me in the 163-166 range, even on a harsh scale.  My only worry is that I'll get a really hard logic game, and end up with a score even lower than where I currently stand.

Should I just let it go, and hope for the best?  If my current stats don't get me into anywhere good, I can always spend a year at a lower ranked school (I'm applying to lots of schools where my 159 is right on the median), and attempt to transfer up.

Any input is truly appreciated.  I have to make this decision right away.  Thanks.

John

re-take. It's a pain in the neck, but it will work out in the end. Re-take. Re-take RE-TAKE!!!

I did it, and I'm really glad that I did. I ended up with a 159, and since I was looking at top schools, I knew I didn't want to risk it with a score that's much lower than the 25th%ile. Many schools will take the higher score (or so they say...see my LSN profile for a list of liars in my case...)

RE-TAKE!!!!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 10, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »
You're applying this cycle?  I doubt your score will be in early enough for it to make much of a difference.  If you've been rejected, they're not going to reconsider.  It might help you on waitlists.  You should probably get into GULC and Vandy, maybe Duke.  If you want to go any higher, you should probably sit out a year.

Go_Blue26

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »
I'm working 50+ hours per week right now, and about to start working even more over the next few weeks.  That's been the whole problem all along.

If I found a way to study over the next 6 months, I think I could post a reputable score in June.  That way, if I wasn't satisfied with any of my acceptances, I could simply reapply next year.

Or, I can retake in February and pray for the best. I'm really confused.